Early Childhood Centre Licensing

Early learning and childcare centres are licensed through the Early Learning and Child Care Board in according to the requirements of the Early Learning and Child Care Act and Regulations.

The board also monitors and investigates complaints.

What do I need to apply for an Early Childhood Centre Licence?

In addition to completing the webform questions, you must upload additional documents to support your application.  The contents of the support documents are described in Early Childhood, Preschool and School Age Child Centre Licence Application Guidelines.

The webform requires the following information: Note: you may begin your application without all these requirements in place. 

  • Category of licence (Early childhood, preschool or school age child centre)
  • Identity and contact details for the applicant and the facility
  • Governance structure (Private, partnership, corporation)
  • Program Information
  • Sessions (full day, ½ day, before or after school)
  • Operating hours
  • Enrollment (per session)
  • Age of children  (birth-22 mo, 22 mo-3yrs, 3 yrs-school age, school age)

An upload field is provided for the following support documents:

  • Comprehensive Business Plan (To demonstrate ability to operate a sustainable business enterprise)
  • Comprehensive Service Plan (To demonstrate ability to provide safe and effective learning environment)
  • Staffing Plan (certifications, positions, responsibilities, policies and procedures)
  • Floor plan for proposed space (intended use and dimensions clearly defined)
  • Letter of zoning approval from the municipality
  • Verification of required liability insurance
  • Valid business declaration (business name registration, statement of corporate status, letters patent)
  • Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Search for the applicant and each person associated with the facility (dated within six months of the application)

You must include full payment of the appropriate application fee.

What is the fee to process my application?

The licence fee is based on number of children the operator proposes to serve at the centre:

  • Up to 25 children: $75
  • More than 25 children: $15

How long will it take to process my application?

Before the Early Learning and Child Care Board can approve your licence the premises of your centre must meet the requirements of both the Fire Prevention Act and the Public Health Act. The time frame for these inspections to be completed will depend on the waiting list for inspections at the time of application.  Final approval may be further delayed if renovations to the facility are necessary, i.e. exit stairs or additional washroom facilities.

Who can I contact for more information?

Monique McClean, Manager
Early Learning and Childcare
Education and Early Years
Early Years Division
Aubin Arsenault Building
3 Brighton Road PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE  C1A 7N8
Tel: (902) 368-6518
Fax: (902) 569-7532
Email: mmmcclean@gov.pe.ca



This service accepts payments using VISA, VISA Debit, MasterCard, and Debit MasterCard.

Education and Early Years

General Inquiries

Department of Education and Early Years
Holman Centre
Suite 101, 250 Water Street
Summerside, PE C1N 1B6

Phone: 902-438-4130
Fax: 902-438-4062