Nursing Recruitment Incentive Program for New Graduates
The PEI Nursing Recruitment Incentive Program for new registered nurse graduates is an initiative to provide meaningful employment opportunities for recent graduates and to fill vacant registered nurse positions of Health PEI.
Who is eligible for PEI Nursing Recruitment Incentive Program?
- Students completing the last year of a recognized Canadian Bachelor of Nursing program; or
- Graduates who have completed their educational program within the last 12 months from date of application to the program who are not currently employed by Health PEI as a registered nurse; and
- Registered nurses who are not participants in the BN Sponsorship or New Graduate Employment Guarantee programs; and
- Applicants who are legally entitled to work in Canada.
Are students eligible who are enrolled in a Canadian Bachelor of Nursing program in a university outside of PEI?
Yes, students from all recognized Canadian nursing programs are encouraged to apply.
Is preference given to Prince Edward Island residents?
Preference will be given to PEI residents. To be considered a resident of PEI, you must:
- be a graduate of a PEI high school, or
- be a dependent student whose parents are PEI residents, or
- have lived in PEI for more than 12 months while NOT enrolled as a student at any post-secondary institution.
Incentives and Opportunities
- A one-time financial incentive of $1,100 is available. This sum is intended to reflect the cost of the NCLEX and the initial and first full-year registration fee with the College of Registered Nurses of Prince Edward Island;
- A guarantee of two years (3,900 working hours) of full-time employment with Health PEI; and
- Permanent status with Health PEI including benefits
Is there a return-in-service commitment?
Yes, there is a two year (3,900 working hours) return-in-service agreement that must be signed by the applicant and the employer prior to the commencement of work.
What vacancies exist?
Applicants’ stated preferences for work facilities and/or units will be taken into consideration during the assignment process. Applicants will be assigned to vacancies that have been identified by Health PEI.
What is the deadline to apply?
There is one application processing time each calendar year. The next deadline to apply is January 31, 2019 for nursing students who are completing a nursing degree in the spring of 2019.
Will interviews be conducted?
Yes, the PEI Public Service Commission will hold interviews for eligible applicants. Eligible applicants who apply by January 31, 2019 will be interviewed in February/March 2019.
When will applicants know if they accepted into the program?
Successful applicants who apply by January 31, 2019 will be notified before the end of March 2019.
What information is required to complete the online application?
You will need to provide the following information to complete the on-line application:
- Personal identity and contact information, including a valid email address.
- Identity and contact information for an alternate individual.
- Academic information including your educational institution, program of study and expected date of completion.
- Canadian residency status.
- Two references who can provide suitable, relevant information about your nursing qualification. References must be:
- a preceptor;
- a direct supervisor, or
- a clinical instructor.