Nursing Student Summer Employment Program - Student Application
Health care facilities across Prince Edward Island offer summer employment opportunities for nursing students to work in the public health care sector and in fully licensed private long term care facilities. Students have the opportunity to gain meaningful nursing work experience while contributing to our health care system and services.
* Program subject to change based on budget approval.
- Students of a Bachelor Degree in Nursing program who have successfully completed three years of a four year nursing program are eligible for summer positions within Health PEI and private long term care facilities.
- Please note - students of a Bachelor Degree in Nursing program who have successfully completed one or two years of a nursing program and students who have successfully completed a full year of a Licensed Practical Nursing program are encouraged to apply to Health PEI to work as casual Resident Care Worker or Patient Care Worker within Health PEI facilities using the instructions below.
2. Click Health PEI Jobs Open to the Public
3. Search 155382 under Search Jobs
4. Select and Apply for Job
You must also meet the following criteria to be eligible to apply to the program:
- legally entitled to work in PEI; and
- re-entering your educational program in the upcoming academic year.
NOTE: If you have not completed your first year of a recognized Bachelor Degree in Nursing program or Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN) diploma program by the beginning of summer 2023, apply for summer employment with the Health Care Futures Program.
Student applications will be accepted until 5:00 pm ADT on Monday April 10th.
What type of work experience should I expect?
Staff in the facility will supervise and coordinate your job duties. Best efforts will be made to provide a placement that complements your nursing educational program and preferences. You must indicate your preferred work site from the list of available options. The list of available work sites is subject to change.
What is the rate of pay?
The student rate of pay is:
- Third year BN student $28.21 per hour.
If selected, when will I start work?
Third year nursing students start employment in early July 2023. Students are employed full time (37.5 hours per week) and may be required to work evenings and/or weekends.
How long does it take to complete the application form?
The application form should only take a few minutes to complete assuming you have the required information readily available before starting. You will be asked to provide basic contact information, education information, job and work site preferences, recent employment and relevant volunteer experience, and related contact information.
A resume is not required.
When will I know if I have been selected?
All applicants will be notified via email on the status of their application by June 1, 2023.
Please note: you must provide a Criminal Record Check prior to the employment start date. Some facilities require employees to adhere to a dress code policy.