Nursing Student Summer Employment Program - Student Application
Health care facilities across the Island offer summer employment opportunities for nursing students to work in the public health care sector and in fully licensed private long term care facilities. Students have the opportunity to gain meaningful nursing work experience while contributing to our health care system and services.
The application process is open to on-line applications from February 10, 2020 to March 13, 2020.
* Program is subject to change based on budget approval.
Am I eligible to apply?
NEW for 2020
• Bachelor Degree in Nursing students who have successfully completed three years of a four year nursing program are eligible for summer positions within Health PEI facilities.
• Bachelor Degree in Nursing students who have successfully completed one or two years of a nursing program and students who have successfully completed a full year of a Licensed Practical Nursing program are eligible for summer positions within private nursing facilities. These students are also encouraged to apply to Health PEI to work as Casual Resident/Patient Care Workers within Health PEI facilities.
- Please visit https://www.gov.pe.ca/jobs/posting/health/external and apply to Competition #140054 under Casual list.
The following criteria must also be met in order to be eligible to apply to the program:
• be legally entitled to work in PEI;
• be a nursing student who has successfully completed at least one year of a recognized Bachelor Degree in Nursing Program or Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN) Diploma Program; and
• be re-entering your educational program in the upcoming academic year.
NOTE: If you have not completed your first year of a recognized Bachelor Degree in Nursing Program or Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN) Diploma Program by the start of the summer 2020, please apply for summer employment through the Health Care Futures Program.
What is the deadline to apply?
The application deadline is Friday March 13, 2020 at 4:00pm AST.
What type of work experience should I expect?
Staff in the facility will supervise and coordinate your job duties. Best efforts will be made to provide a placement that complements your nursing educational program and preferences. You must indicate your preferred work site from the list of available options. The list of available work sites is subject to change.
What is the rate of pay?
Student rates of pay will be as follows: (subject to change)
Students who have successfully completed:
- first year (including LPN students) will receive $14.24 * per hour;
- second year will receive $14.79 * per hour;
- third year will receive $17.29 * per hour.
* (based on 2019 student rates of pay)
If selected, when will I start work?
The third year nursing students start employment in early July 2020. The first and second year BN students and first year LPN students start in mid June 2020 but exact dates will be determined by the private nursing homes. You will be employed full time (37.5 hours per week) and may be required to work evenings and/or weekends.
How long will the application form take me to complete?
The application form should only take a few minutes to complete, given you have the required information readily available before starting the application. You will be asked basic contact information; education information; job and work site preferences; recent employment and relevant volunteer experience; and employment or volunteer references and their contact information.
A resume is not required.
When will I know if I have been selected?
All applicants will be notified on the status of their application. Applicants will be notified by email in May of the application year.
Please note: you must provide a Criminal Record Check, including vulnerable sector check, prior to the employment start date. Some facilities require employees to adhere to a dress code policy.