PEI Teacher’s License for Applicants with an International Education Degree

This online request for academic teacher certification in Prince Edward Island is intended for applicants who completed their pre-service professional teacher education program outside Canada. In order to teach in a public school in PEI, a teacher must hold a valid PEI teacher’s licence and be thoroughly proficient in either English or French. You may be asked to complete a language proficiency test if you completed your pre-service training in a language other than English or French. If you require more detailed information, please contact the Registrar at

What do I need to complete the online application?

You will be asked to complete all personal identity and contact information and provide a copy of each of the documents listed below. Please note: all documents must be presented in the official language of the granting institution. For documents in a language other than English or French, you will be required to provide an official translation from an approved translation service. 

  • Proof of Identity such as your Birth Certificate, passport, Permanent Resident Card (both sides) or Canadian Immigration Record and Visa Record of Landing (both sides);
  • Proof of eligibility to work in Canada such as your work permit;
  • Statement of Professional Standing (proof of certification to teach) in:
    • the jurisdiction where you completed your pre-service teacher education training, even if you did not teach there; and
    • each additional jurisdiction where you were certified to teach
  • Canadian Criminal Background Check report including a Vulnerable Sector Screen, current to within three months and including your current and previous full names;
  • Full payment of certification evaluation fee, $175.

In addition to the completed online form and supporting documents, you must request that each post secondary institution you attended send your academic credentials directly to the Registrar.  If your academic institution issues original transcripts to students only, you must send the original official transcript to the Office of the Registrar. The Registrar will send a copy to the originating university for verification and the original will be returned to you.

Conditional Letter of Eligibility: A teaching certificate will not be issued until the Registrar receives proof of eligibility to work in Canada. If you meet all the requirements of teacher certification with the exception of a work permit or proof of eligibility to work in Canada, the Registrar will issue a Conditional Letter of Eligibility to indicate your credentials have been evaluated and you will be eligible to teach in a PEI public school upon providing proof of permission to work in Canada.

Education and Early Years

General Inquiries

Department of Education and Early Years
Holman Centre
Suite 101, 250 Water Street
Summerside, PE C1N 1B6

Phone: 902-438-4130
Fax: 902-438-4062