Pre-approval for Academic Upgrade to Teacher Certification
The Registrar must pre-approve the coursework before you enrol in an academic program to upgrade the qualification level of your teacher certification.
Once you’ve received the pre-approval and have completed the coursework, it is your responsibility to apply for the qualification level upgrade and provide all necessary proof-of-course-completion documentation
Apply for pre-approval using the online form below.
What courses or programs will be approved for certification upgrade?
Coursework must meet the following pre-approval criteria:
- Credited courses delivered by a recognized university
- At the graduate or fourth year university level; and
- Pertaining to K-12 education or subject matter areas of authorized K-12 curriculum.
- Exception: Certain PEITF courses (maximum five) may be applied to an upgrade to C5 or C5-A.
What do I need to complete this online form?
In addition to standard identification and current contact information, you will be asked to provide:
- Your date of birth
- Both your current level of certification and proposed level after qualification upgrade
- Pathway for your certificate upgrade, i.e. integrated program or degree
- Two short paragraphs, one describing your proposed pathway, the other to explain how this academic upgrade make you a more effective teacher and impact your professional growth and your ability to respond to system needs.
- Registration details for each course you intend to complete, including the course code, course name, university and number of credit units for each course.
How long will it take to complete the form?
Providing you have all the course information available to enter, you can complete this form in less than one hour.
How long will it take to have my academic program approved?
Allow two weeks to process your request.