Prince Edward Island Emergency Payment for Workers
The Prince Edward Island Emergency Payment for Workers program provides financial support to residents of Prince Edward Island who have lost their job/ laid off, loss of their primary source of income, or have seen their hours significantly reduced due to recent public health orders related to COVID-19 announced February 28, 2021. This emergency income program is a one-time lump sum payment of $500 from the Government of Prince Edward Island. This emergency benefit is taxable income.
Who is eligible to participate?
The Prince Edward Island Emergency Payment for Workers program is a temporary program designed to provide financial support to Prince Edward Island residents who meet the minimum eligibility criteria.
Minimum eligibility criteria
An individual who during the two-week period from February 28, 2021 – March 14, 2021;
- Has been laid off/job loss as of February 28, 2021 due to the public health measures;
- Was scheduled to work as of February 28, 2021 and lost wages due to the modified red alert period of 72 hours;
- Was notified by their employer of a reduction of work hours effective February 28, 2021 and will be reduced on average a minimum of 12 hrs/week between February 28, 2021 - March 14; or
- Is self- employed and has a reduction of $500 minimum in self-employment income over the two week period February 28, 2021 - March 14, 2021 due to the circuit breaker
How does the program work?
Eligible individuals who meet the program criteria will receive the following:
• A one-time lump sum payment of $500 for the two-week period February 28, 2021 - March 14, 2021 (Taxable Income)
• Only one application per eligible individual.
Eligible individuals must keep supporting documents providing their eligibility for the program for a period of three years following approval to the program for audit and compliance purposes.
How do I apply?
Eligible individuals must complete the application below in full. Online applications are recommended, however, a printable form is available.
Printable PDF applications can be requested and mailed and/or e-mailed to the contact address below. Hard copy applications must be received by SkillsPEI not later than April 15, 2021.
What information is required to complete my application?
To assess your application, we will need;
- Completed PEI Emergency Payment for Workers application form with:
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Banking Information
- Void cheque
- Financial institutional number, branch transit number, and account number
- If name on banking information is different than applicant then reason why must be given
- Employment Information.
Please be advised, approved applications may take up to 5 business days before receipt of payment, and all payments will be made by electronic transfer.
When is the deadline for applications?
Applications can be submitted until April 15, 2021
For More Information:
The toll free number will be available Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5 pm