Register a Business: Co-operative
Any association intending to form a co-operative in PEI must apply to the Province for incorporation. This includes any housing or other non-profit co-operative. A registered co-operative in PEI operates under the authority of the Co-operative Associations Act. Please complete the online form below to request to incorporate.
A cooperative association registered with the Province must renew the registration annually. The registration may be renewed online at Renew a Co-operative or Non-profit in PEI.
You are advised to seek the services of a lawyer before you request to incorporate a business entity.
What information do I need to complete the online form?
Before you apply to incorporate, please ensure the precise legal name of the new co-operative complies with provincial naming rules. For more information, refer to Register your Business Name.
The application to register a co-operative association will include:
- Proposed name of the co-operative association
- Detailed contact information
- Names of officers/board members and contact information (minimum of three names required)
- Full payment of fees
- Uploaded documents including:
- Articles of incorporation (prepared by a legal professional) which will include
- Objects of the association
- Location of the corporation head office in PEI
- Name of first or provisional directors, minimum three
- Liability of members, either
- limited by shares, and value of shares or
- limited by membership, and amount of annual or periodic membership fee
- Memorandum of agreement, signed and sealed, setting forth the bylaws of the proposed corporation including:
- conditions of membership
- operational procedures, i.e. holding meetings, quorum, voting and enacting bylaws
- appointment and removal of directors and officers, their powers and remuneration
- financial processes, i.e. audit of accounts and appointment of auditors; and
- custody of the corporate seal and certifying documents
What is the fee to incorporate as a co-operative?
Cost to incorporate: $305
Cost includes fee to incorporate ($250), name search ($40), and publication in the Royal Gazette ($15).
How long will it take to process my application?
Please allow ten business days for the Registrar to complete the business name search and incorporation process.
Add a Reminder to create your own email notification which you will receive when it is time to renew.