Renew Your Power Engineer Licence

In PEI, a Power Engineer licence is valid for a maximum five-year period. All licences issued in this current five-year cycle will expire December 31, 2024. You can click Add a Reminder on the right side of this page to request an automated e-mail when it’s time to renew your licence. 

You must hold a valid power engineer or refrigeration licence of the appropriate class in order to operate a power, heating or refrigeration plant that is under the authority of the Power Engineers Act and regulations.

You can use the online form below to renew a licence for:

Licence Class

  • Power Engineer First Class
  • Power Engineer Second Class
  • Power Engineer Third Class
  • Power Engineer Fourth Class
  • Biomass Operator

Refrigeration Licence

  • Refrigeration “A”
  • Refrigeration “B”
Please note: A Power Engineer Licence will not be issued without approval of the Chief Boiler Inspector. If you are seeking a new (first-time) licence, contact the Chief Boiler Inspector at the address below.

For information about qualifications for each licence class, refer to Power Engineer Licence Qualifications.

What do I need to complete the online application?

To renew your licence, you must provide your current Power Engineer licence and/or Refrigeration licence number and submit full payment.

Note: You can use this form to renew both a Licence Class and a Refrigeration licence at the same time. To renew Refrigeration licence only, ensure Licence Class field is set at “Select”.

What is the fee?

The cost of a power engineer licence or a refrigeration licence, which must be renewed each five-year cycle, is $200 per licence. There is no HST.

How long will it take to process this online form?

Please allow two weeks to process your application.

Who can I contact about a Power Engineer licence?

Chief Boiler Inspector
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
Charlottetown, PE
Telephone: (902) 368-5567
Fax: (902) 368-5526

Please note: This application is also available in pdf format to print, complete and send with cheque payable to Minister of Finance.


This service accepts payments using VISA, VISA Debit, MasterCard, and Debit MasterCard.

Housing, Land and Communities

General Inquiries

Inspection Services
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
Charlottetown, PE C1A 6B8

Telephone: 902-368-5280
Fax: 902-368-5526