Request a Correction to Personal Health Information

Do not use this form to change your address or telephone number on your Health Card. Instead, call PEI Medicare at 1-800-321-5492.

You can request a correction to your personal health information if you believe there is an error in your health records at a Health PEI facility. By law, Health PEI is not permitted to make changes to professional opinions or observations in your health records.

How do I request a correction?

To request a correction, complete a Request to Correct Personal Health Information form. 

Your request must include a detailed description of the information that you believe is incorrect and the correction you are requesting. 

You may be asked to provide documentation to support the correction (for example, providing a copy of photo identification if your date of birth is incorrect in your health records).

Can I request a correction to the personal health information of someone else?

You can request a correction for another person if you have legal authority to act on their behalf. This could include a parent or guardian requesting a correction to their child's personal health information. 

You may be asked to provide documentation to prove your authority to act on the person's behalf (for example, a birth certificate or custody order).

How will my request for correction be processed?

If the requested correction will be made to your health records, you will receive written confirmation from Health PEI that the correction has been made. 

If Health PEI is unable to make the requested correction, you will receive a letter explaining the reason for denying your request. You will be given the opportunity to have a Statement of Disagreement attached to the information in your health record. 

By law, Health PEI is required to respond to your request for a correction of personal health information within 30 days of receiving your request.

Is there a fee for requesting a correction?

There is no fee for requesting a correction to personal health information.

Who do I contact if I have more questions on requesting a correction?

If you have questions about requesting a correction to your personal health information, contact the Health PEI Privacy Officer:

Access to Information and Privacy Team
PO Box 2000, 16 Garfield Street
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Telephone:  902-569-7734
Fax: 902-368-6136

Feedback:  Send Health PEI patient feedback

To update the address or telephone number on your PEI Health Card: 

Call PEI Medicare at 1-800-321-5492. (Do not use this form)

Health PEI logo

General Inquiries

Health PEI
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-6130
Fax: 902-368-6136

Your Health Privacy

Media Inquiries
Phone: 902-368-6135

Health PEI Board of Directors

If you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency department.

If you are unsure what to do about a health issue or if you need health information, call 8-1-1.

811 logo