Request a Plumbing Permit
A plumbing permit is required before you start any plumbing job that involve installation, extension, alteration or repair to a plumbing system and prior to connecting a building to a sewer system. A separate permit is required for each job. You do not need a permit to unplug a stoppage, or to replace a faucet, plumbing fixture, or water heater where no change to the piping is required.
You must hold a valid PEI plumbing contractor licence in order to obtain a plumbing permit in PEI. A separate application is required to apply for a Plumbing Contractor's licence.
Use the online form below to request a plumbing permit.
What do I need to complete this online form?
On this form, you will be asked to provide:
- Your PEI Plumbing Contractor's licence number;
- The Property Identification number (PID) and use of the building being serviced;
- An estimated start date for the service; and
- A detailed count of the plumbing fixtures and other services required.
You must calculate and submit full payment with the permit application.
How long will it take to complete the online form?
This form will take approximately 15 minutes to complete.
What is the fee for a plumbing permit?
The fee for a plumbing permit depends on the scope of work required. The following fees are prescribed in A Code for Plumbing Services Regulations.
- Installation: The minimum fee for any installation is $50 however when three or more fixtures are installed the fee is $20 per fixture e.g. two fixtures =$50; four fixtures =$80.
- Prefabricated home on foundation (excluding added fixtures) $50
- Connection to municipal water or sewage system $20
- Extension or alteration (existing system, no added fixtures) $50
How long will it take to process this form?
The permit will be issued when your payment has processed successfully.
What else do I need to know?
You must provide the inspector a minimum 48 hours notice of a completed service.
In accordance with the Environmental Protection Act,Cap. E-9 3 - A Code for Plumbing Services Regulations, once a completed plumbing system has been inspected and approved, the plumbing contractor shall issue to the owner a Certificate of compliance certifying that the work has been carried out in compliance with the Code.
Who can I contact for more information?
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
Charlottetown, PE C1A 6B8
Telephone: (902) 368-5567
Fax: (902) 368-5526
Brian Trainor (Inspector, Plumbing, Boiler and Pressure Vessel)
Access PEI Summerside
120 Heather Moyse Drive
Summerside, PE C1N 5Y8
Telephone: (902) 888-80016
Fax: (902) 888-8023