Speech-language pathology services are offered in English and French to preschool children who need help developing speech and language abilities.
Services include consultation, screening, assessment, treatment, workshops, community visits, and caregiver training. Speech-language pathology services are provided by Health PEI until children enter a kindergarten program.
Speech-language pathology services are offered to adults who are experiencing communication challenges in the following areas or due to the following reasons:
- voice disorders
- neurological conditions (e.g., Parkinson’s, ALS)
- cognitive communication (e.g., brain injury, dementia)
- augmentative or alternative communication
- gender-affirming voice and communication services
Services may include assessment, consultation, and/or direct intervention. Adults may self-refer or request referral through a health care professional.
How can I get speech and language services?
Parents can refer their children directly. Adults can refer themselves. Health care providers can also refer children or adults.
You can obtain speech and language services in any of the following ways:
1. Call 1-844-344-8255 (toll-free).
You will be asked to provide:
- the PEI Health card number for the person being referred
- the birth date for person being referred
- the primary contact’s phone number and email address
- the reason for requesting speech and language services
- any other health services involved
- any related information and concerns
3. Complete the PDF form.
- Preschool Speech Language Pathology Referral Form (French: Demande de consultation en orthophonie pour enfant d'âge préscolaire ); or
- Adult Speech and Language Referral Form
Send your completed form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 902-620-3195. You can also drop off the form at a Speech-Language Pathology clinic (see locations below).
What can I do before my first appointment?
Please submit a completed case history form before the first appointment.
- Preschool Case History Forms:
- Adult Case History Forms:
How long will it take to process my request?
You will get a letter when your referral has been received. There is a wait time for services. You will be contacted when an appointment is available.
Contact Speech-Language Pathology Services
Johnny Ross Young Service Centre
15 Green Street
Souris, PE C0A 2B0
126 Douses Road
Montague, PE C0A 1R0
Sherwood Business Centre, 2nd Floor
161 St. Peters Road
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
205 Linden Avenue
Summerside, PE C1N 2K4
Evangeline Health Centre
48 Mill Road
Wellington, PE C0B 2E0
14 MacKinnon Drive
O'Leary, PE C0B 1V0