Teacher Salary Increment - Experience Recognition
Your hours of contractual teaching or education-related service outside a PEI school board may qualify for credit towards placement on the PEI teacher salary grid. A one-year experience credit will be granted for each approved and verified full-time school year, i.e. one hundred and eighty five (185) school days, in a jurisdiction recognized by the Registrar. A maximum of ten (10) full school years will be recognized.
To request an experience recognition evaluation, please complete the online form below.
Contractual or substitute work with a PEI school board or school authority and approved leave, i.e. sabbatical, study, maternity or teacher exchange, is automatically calculated. If you are seconded from a PEI school board to work at the education department, please notify the school board when returning to the classroom to ensure your hours are counted.
What experience is recognized for the salary credit?
The Registrar may approve a one-year experience credit for one year educational service (1:1) in the following settings:
- Public school outside PEI;
- Licensed-private, Band-operated, or military operated school;
- Community college or university as a sessional instructor, lecturer, or professor (assistant, associated or full);
- Community-based adult education program;
- Licensed second-language formal education program;
- PEI school board or education department as a professional consultant, administrator, monitor or coach in the PEI public school system, excluding a secondment from a school board;
- Public kindergarten, in PEI from September 2000 or outside PEI with a teaching certificate. Teaching a half-day kindergarten program will be credited 50%.
The following positions will not be recognized for salary credit but may qualify for partial credit towards Allied Work Experience. To confirm program criteria, refer to policies of the Certification and Standards Board.
- Early childhood educator or pre-kindergarten teacher
- Kindergarten teacher prior to September 2000
- Educational or special-needs assistant
- Teacher’s assistant, post-secondary
- Athletics coach
- Private lessons instructor
What do I need to complete the online form?
In addition to completing the form, you must ask each former employer you identify on the form to send a verification letter directly to the Office of the Registrar. The letter should contain details that confirm your employment experience including:
- Employment start and end date
- Total experience in days per year and total number of years
- Employment status, full or part-time
- Nature of instruction, i.e. grade level(s) and subject(s) taught
You will be asked to include the following information on this form:
- Personal identification and current contact information
- Your date of birth
- Your PEI Certificate number and level
- Information for each recent education-related experience to be recognized for a salary increment (This form will accept up to three positions; for more than three recent employers, please upload a summary.)
- Name, location, and school district of each school identified
- Subject(s) taught
- Date of employment start and end
- Employment status, full or part time
- Name and title of each supervisor (individual submitting a letter on your behalf)
- You will be asked to identify which employer should receive your up-to-date years of service.
Is there a fee for processing my request?
There is no fee to evaluate your teaching experience.
How long will it take to process my request?
Please allow 4-6 weeks to evaluate and apply your work experience to your salary increment.
To request an update on the status of your request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.