Temporary Permit to Substitute for a Teacher (Non-Certified)
You must be authorized to substitute for a licensed teacher in Prince Edward Island if you do not hold a valid PEI teacher’s licence. Your temporary permit to be a substitute (non-certified) teacher is valid until June 30 of the current school year and must be renewed each year. Access the online form below to apply for Substitute Teacher (Non-Certified) Permit.
Once you are authorized to substitute teach, you may apply online each year to Renew your Temporary Permit to Substitute for a Teacher (Non-Certified).
Am I eligible to substitute for a teacher in PEI?
To substitute for a teacher in a K-12 classroom you must have successfully completed at least two (2) full years of academic study at a recognized post-secondary institution in a subject area being taught in the PEI public school system.
To substitute for a senior high career and technical education teacher, you must hold a recognized trade certification such as a Red Seal in automotive, carpentry, welding or cooking which includes completion of minimum one year program or required number of weeks block training for the trade at a recognized post secondary institution and a minimum four years work experience, or minimum required for that trade.
What do I need to complete the online application?
In addition to identification and contact information which includes your date of birth, you will be asked to provide:
- Education background, including schools attended and credentials attained
- Which language you received your academic and/or trades instruction
- Which PEI School authorities you want to receive notice of your authorization
- Uploaded documents including:
- Proof of identification such as a copy of a birth certificate or passport
- Current Criminal Background Check and Vulnerable Sector Screen
- Copy of Red Seal or other trades qualification (Career and Technical Education substitute teacher only)
- Letter from former employer(s) to verify required work experience in the trade(Career and Technical Education substitute teacher only)
- Full payment of application fee ($75)
- Please arrange for your post secondary institution to send your official transcript of marks directly to the Registrar.
What is the application fee?
The non-refundable application fee is $75.
How long will it take to process my application?
Once the Registrar receives all required documentation and fees, please allow ten business days to process your application.