Canadian Agricultural Partnership 2018-2023
The Canadian Agriculture Partnership (CAP) is an initiative that outlines policy and program priorities for the agriculture industry across Canada. The CAP is an initiative among Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) and provincial and territorial governments. The CAP represents a $3 billion investment in Canada’s agriculture, agri-food and agri-based products sector. The CAP replaces the Growing Forward 2 initiative (2013-2018).
Through the CAP, the PEI Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF) offers a suite of programs which will support agriculture in PEI to:
- Increase competitiveness, productivity, and profitability;
- Increase environmental sustainability;
- Expand domestic and international markets; and
- Improve the anticipation, mitigation and response to risks
How were CAP programs developed?
Feedback to inform the development of programs at the DAF was collected through:
- An evaluation of Growing Forward 2 Programs
- Consultation session with industry; Meetings with stakeholders; and an Online public feedback survey
What is new with CAP programs?
Many of the project activities which occurred under the Growing Forward 2 initiative will remain under the CAP.
New focus areas include:
- activities to promote community food security;
- activities to promote environmentally sustainable perennial crops;
- activities to promote public trust in PEI’s agriculture and agri-food sectors; and
- activities to encourage the participation of under-represented groups, including (but not limited to) Indigenous peoples, women, youth and persons with a disability.
Canadian Agriculture Partnership programs for PEI
CAP Outcome: Increase competitiveness, productivity and profitability
- Applied Research Sub-Program
- Innovative Technologies Sub-Program
- Industry Research Coordination Sub-Program
- Technology and Science Adoption Sub-Program
- Certified Land Development Sub-Program
- Implementation of Strategic Initiatives Sub-Program
- Increasing Market Development Sub-Program
- Specialized Equipment Sub-Program
CAP Outcome: Increase environmental sustainability
CAP Outcome: Expand domestic and international markets
CAP Outcome: Improve the anticipation, mitigation and response to risks
- On-Farm Assurance Sub-Program
- Post-Farm Assurance Sub-Program
- Surveillance and Emergency Management Sub-Program
Business Risk Management Programs
- AgriInvest (Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada)
a savings account for producers, which provides coverage for small income declines and allows for investments that help mitigate risks or improve market income.
- AgriInsurance (PEI)
a program which includes insurance against production losses for specified perils (weather, pests, disease) and is being expanded to include more commodities.
- AgriStability (PEI)
provides support when a producer experiences larger farm income losses. The program covers declines of more than 30% in a producer's average income from previous years.
For more information on the Business Risk Management Programs, contact:
Agricultural Insurance Corporation
7 Gerald MacCarville Drive
Fax: (902) 836-8912
For more information on CAP Programs, contact:
PEI Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
Telephone: 1-866-PEIFARM (734-3276)