Home Heat Tank Management
Notice - New procedures during COVID-19 Circuit Breaker
Provincial Planning and Inspection Services
The Land Division's Provincial Planning and Inspection Services Sections offices will provide services virtually. Appointments can be made for those essential services that cannot be provided remotely.
- Information for Building and Development Permit Applications can be found here.
- Information for Subdivision Applications can be found here.
- For all other services use online services, if available.
Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns at:
- Charlottetown (902)-368-5280
- Monatgue (902)-838-0605
- Summrside (902)-432-2802 .
Who is responsible for home heat tank management?
Home heat tank management is every homeowner’s responsibility. To help prevent a spill before it occurs or detect a spill early homeowner’s should:
- check the age of your tank
- check tank connections on a regular basis
- check for signs of corrosion and leaks
- check to ensure that installation and inspections are done by a licensed installer
- check to ensure tank foundation is stable and solid
- check on winter tank safety procedures
- check on your insurance coverage
Signs that your tanks should be replaced immediately include:
- an unexplained oil-like substance or wet area near your tank
- a nearby soil stained by petroleum
- strong and constant smell petroleum near your tank
- smell or taste of petroleum in you water
- tank is discoloured or damp on the bottom.
Every person who has reason to believe that petroleum is leaking or has leaked from a home heat tank system shall immediately:
- notify the owner of the home heat tank system; and
- report the leak by telephoning one of the numbers below
Who do I call to report an oil spill?
Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM: 1-866-368-5044 (PEI Department of Communities, Land and Environment)
Evenings and weekends: 1-800-565-1633 (Canadian Coast Guard)
Who can I contact for more information?
Steve Townsend (Chief Officer Boiler, Pressure Vessel, LP Gas, Plumbing and Home Heat Tank)
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
Telephone: (902) 368-5567
Fax: (902) 368-5526