Installation / Alteration Permit for Boilers or Pressure Vessels
Notice - New procedures during COVID-19 Circuit Breaker
Provincial Planning and Inspection Services
The Land Division's Provincial Planning and Inspection Services Sections offices will provide services virtually. Appointments can be made for those essential services that cannot be provided remotely.
- Information for Building and Development Permit Applications can be found here.
- Information for Subdivision Applications can be found here.
- For all other services use online services, if available.
Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns at:
- Charlottetown (902)-368-5280
- Monatgue (902)-838-0605
- Summrside (902)-432-2802 .
When do I need to get an Installation / Alteration Permit for Boilers or Pressure Vessels?
A permit is needed to install or alter any boiler or pressure vessel, which is not housed in a private residence, when the boiler or pressure vessel meets the parameters below:
- power (usually steam) boiler above 10 kw (34,152 BTU's) operating at 103 kPa (15 psi) or above, or
- heating (hot water) boilers above 20 kw (68,304 BTU's) operating at 201 kPa (30 psi) or above, or
- heating (biomass) boilers above 20 kw (68,304 BTU's) operating at 201 kPa (30 psi) or above, or
- pressure vessels having an internal diameter of more than 152.4 mm (6 inches) operating at 103 (15 psi) or above
You do not need a permit to install or alter a boiler or pressure vessel that is vented to the atmosphere (or is not under pressure).
How can I get a permit?
You must complete an application and forward it to the department.
Are there additional requirements?
Yes. Any person who installs or alters a boiler or pressure vessel, under the authority of a permit, must hold a valid Mechanical Contractor's License.
What is the cost?
The cost for an Installation / Alteration Permit for Boilers or Pressure Vessels is $35, plus applicable inspection fees. Contact staff with the department to confirm the cost of inspection fees. HST is applicable. Make cheques payable to the PEI Minister of Finance.
How long will it take to obtain an Installation / Alteration Permit for Boilers or Pressure Vessels?
Allow three days to process your application.
Who can I contact for more information?
Steve Townsend (Chief Officer Boiler, Pressure Vessel, LP Gas, Plumbing and Home Heat Tank)
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
Telephone: (902) 368-5567
Fax: (902) 368-5526