PEI Agriculture Climate Solutions Program
The PEI Agriculture Climate Solutions Program is designed to encourage and provide assistance to the Prince Edward Island agriculture industry to implement best management practices (BMPs) that mitigate the production of greenhouse gases (GHG) during or from various agricultural activities or by prompting carbon storage in soils. The Program provides financial assistance for the adoption of beneficial on-farm projects and through trial-based payments that encourage the adoption of beneficial practices through demonstration, validation, and knowledge-transfer.
Funding for this program is provided by Environment and Climate Change Canada’s Low Carbon Economy Fund and the Province of Prince Edward Island. The Low Carbon Economy Fund supports projects and programs that generate clean growth, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and help meet or exceed Canada’s Paris Agreement commitments.
Who is eligible for funding?
- Mi’kmaq First Nations and other Indigenous Organizations;
- Agricultural producers or groups of agricultural producers with a valid EFP;
- Agricultural landowners;
- Provincial government (eligible for BMP 7 & 8);
- Agricultural industry organizations, clubs, and associations (eligible for BMP 7 & 8);
- Public, private and academic institutions or businesses (eligible for BMP 7 & 8).
What types of activities are eligible for funding?
- Implementation of Beneficial Management Practices that mitigate the production of greenhouse gases and/or sequester carbon in the soil; including:
- Establishing nurse crops within commercial row crops
- Extending rotations with soil-building perennial rotation crops
- No-till planting of crops into green/living crops
- Willow planting in field edges or marginal/sensitive areas
- Installing liquid manure storage covers
- Improving grazing management practices
- Development and implementation of trial-based activities in the areas of nitrogen fertilizer management and incorporating feed additives into ruminant livestock diets.
Where can I find more information?
When can I submit my application?
Applications for the PEI Agriculture Climate Solutions Program will open at 8:30am AST on April 1st, 2021.
Applications received prior to this date and time will not be considered.
Who can I contact about the PEI Agriculture Climate Solutions Program?
Agriculture Program Officer
PEI Department of Agriculture
11 Kent Street, PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 894-0340
Fax: (902) 368-4858