Strategic Industry Growth Initiative Program
The Strategic Industry Growth Initiative (SIGI) is designed to increase the competitiveness, productivity and profitability of the agriculture industry through a coordinated effort to accelerate the development and successful commercialization of food products from Prince Edward Island. This program will primarily focus on projects which will increase the competitiveness, productivity, and profitability of Prince Edward Island’s agriculture and agri-food sector by identifying, creating, or maintaining market and innovation-based opportunities; facilitating value-chain development; and encouraging the formation of strategic relationships. Priority will be given to holistic projects whose outcomes have broad sector and/or industry benefits.
Am I eligible to apply for SIGI funding?
The following includes a summary of program and funding eligibility. Before completing the application form, please review program and funding criteria in the Strategic Industry Growth Initiative (SIGI) Guidelines .
- Mi’kmaq First Nations and other Indigenous groups;
- Agriculture industry organizations, clubs, and associations;
- Public, private, and academic research bodies;
- Entities collectively representing all agricultural sectors with the necessary expertise to deliver; project outcomes; and
- Others may be considered upon request.
- Development and implementation of industry/sector strategies;
- Research and feasibility studies related to delivery of products;
- Consulting or business coaching on applied market research and value-chain development;
- Access to capital and support services for new and/or expanding business ventures;
- Support for activities to identify commercialized products, technologies, practices or processes for widespread adoption by the sector;
- Support for businesses to commercialize and adopt new products, technologies practices or processes; and
- Projects which will result in recruitment and retention of labour in the agriculture sector.
What do I need to complete the application form?
Information required for all programs:
- Applicant contact information;
- Business or organization information, including CRA registration number;
- If applicable, Partnership information
- Project start and end date;
- Additional sources of project funding;
- Recipient type (i.e. primary producer, agricultural landowner, processor);
- Type of industry (i.e. Dairy, potato, beef, hog, grains and oilseeds);
- Signature for declaration and consent to personal information; and
- Demographic information (optional).
Strategic Industry Growth Initiative Project Details:
- Project proposal (1-2) pages with the following sections:
- Cover page;
- Executive summary;
- Project objectives;
- Sustainable CAP Outcome;
- Climate change/carbon sequestration;
- Communication of support (if applicable)
For more information contact:
PEI Department of Agriculture
11 Kent Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-4880
The Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership (Sustainable CAP) is a new $3.5-billion, 5-year agreement (April 1, 2023 to March 31, 2028), between the federal, provincial and territorial governments to strengthen the competitiveness, innovation, and resiliency of the agriculture, agri‐food and agri‐based products sector. The agreement includes $1 billion in federal programs and activities and $2.5 billion in cost-shared programs and activities funded by federal, provincial and territorial governments..