Approval to Construct or Operate a Water or Wastewater System

Le contenu suivant est seulement disponible en anglais.

Do I need approval to construct or operate a water or wastewater system?

Prior to the establishment of a central water or a wastewater system a Certificate of Approval (COA) must be obtained from the department. The process is often a two-part approval with the first part specifying the conditions for the construction of the system and the second part specifying conditions for the operation of the system.

How do I get a Certificate of Approval?

Prior to the construction or modification of water and wastewater systems, the owners are typically required to hire a consulting engineer licensed to practice in Prince Edward Island to complete and submit a design package to the department. 

The following is a list of items required to be submitted as part of the design package:

  • Official name of the developer and owner
  • Contact information - mailing address and phone number of developer and owner
  • Official name of the municipality and utility, if applicable
  • Name of consulting engineering firm
  • Name of design engineer licensed to practice in PEI
  • Contact information - mailing address of consulting engineering firm
  • Stamped design drawings and specifications
  • Design summary/brief
  • Estimate of project cost including construction, contingency and engineering

Provided that the design meets regulatory requirements and applicable regulations, standards, guidelines and good engineering practices and all appropriate information has been submitted, a Certificate of Approval can be issued. Upon completion of the project, the consulting engineering firm is required to submit record drawings and a letter of compliance to the department. The letter of compliance should include the date of substantial completion, certificate number and any other relevant information.

Who can I contact for more information?

Morley Foy, P.Eng (Approvals & Compliance Engineer)
4th Floor, Jones Building
11 Kent Street
Charlottetown, PEI C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-5036
Fax: (902) 368-5830

Date de publication : 
le 4 Juillet 2016
Environnement, Énergie et Action climatique

Renseignements généraux

Ministère de l'Environnement, Énergie et Action climatique 
Immeuble Jones, 4e étage
11, rue Kent
C.P. 2000
Charlottetown (Î.-P.-É.) C1A 7N8

Téléphone : 902-368-5044
Sans frais : 1-866-368-5044
Télécopieur : 902-368-5830
Signaler une Préoccupation Environnementale