Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture Mandate Letter
Honourable Matthew MacKay
Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Dear Minister MacKay:
I am pleased that you have agreed to serve Islanders as Minister of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture.
Our new Progressive Conservative government will work to deliver real benefits for all Islanders; because it’s about people. Guided by our approach that begins with putting people at the heart of every decision, we have offered a new, ambitious plan to deliver on our long-term vision for a stronger, healthier province.
I plan to effect change in a way that is true to Island values with strong consideration to our people, communities, wellness and environment. As Premier, I am renewing my commitment to lead with civility, respect, courtesy, and kindness; applying this philosophy to every aspect of our new Progressive Conservative government.
We seek the involvement of the People, ensuring our progress is measurable through transparent decision making and broad public engagement. We’re proud of our individuality and it’s our responsibility, as Islanders, to ensure our Communities are strengthened and sustained for many generations to allow for resiliency and success. Maintaining our Wellness and healthy living means having timely access to the information and resources Islanders need to take care of themselves and their loved ones. The connection between Islanders and our Environment: the water, land, and the air has always been deeply personal. As stewards of these precious resources, we must understand their value and respect their fragility. These considerations along with your specific ministerial objectives should guide your work and shape your priorities from day to day.
I made a personal commitment to bring new leadership and a new tone to government. I want to work with all MLAs in the Legislative Assembly, and this new cooperative approach is critical to the success of our government.
Islanders expect our government to work together to advance the public good. That means seeking out, fostering, and advancing good ideas regardless of which side of the house they come from.
As minister, you are responsible for ensuring members of the Green and Liberal caucuses are appropriately consulted on major issues and legislation. This consultation and information sharing will occur in accordance with protocols established through caucus house leaders, and in accordance with relevant legislation and confidence. This level of practical collaboration is what Islanders have called on us to do and what we will work to provide them.
As the Minister of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture, your overarching goal is to lead our province’s efforts to promote Prince Edward Island's overall economic growth, encourage business investment and job creation, champion our fantastic tourism product and local culture and heritage. You will ensure your departmental focus is on supporting the Speech from the Throne delivered on June 14, 2019 while delivering on priorities specific to your mandate.
I expect you to work with your colleagues and through established legislative, regulatory, and Cabinet processes to make substantive progress on the following priorities:
- Develop and deliver a “Made in PEI” Internet plan that will include local Internet Service Providers;
- Work with all areas of government in creating an economic climate which is efficient and competitive allowing all Island companies and entrepreneurs to prosper;
- Simplify and reform economic development programming to make it more transparent, effective and responsive to Island business needs;
- Develop and deliver a new suite of programming to support small and medium enterprises (SMEs) to innovate, become more productive and competitive, and ready to export goods and services;
- Focus and align resources to prioritize the growth of existing Island SMEs and the access to skills and labour they require to succeed. Investment and business attraction activities should be more targeted and evaluated regularly;
- Develop, with industry stakeholders, a new 5-year growth strategy for the Island’s tourism industry. This strategy should focus on innovative product development and marketing strategies; seasonal extension; and increasing yield and profitability for operators;
- Develop an immigration recruitment and retention strategy to assist in identifying labour shortages;
- Work with stakeholders towards the revitalization of economic development agencies to foster local economic growth and opportunities;
- Continue to engage with the Partnership for Growth in order to ensure the private sector has a voice in relation to economic development going forward;
- Work with your colleague, the Minister of Education and Lifelong Learning, to champion and inspire Island culture and heritage and increase awareness and education of our proud past;
- Develop new arts and culture programming to achieve the goals of the PEI Culture Action Plan such as Percent for Public Art and Island Digital Voices and enhance support for rural cultural initiatives that tell our Island story, celebrate our heritage and champions our culture;
- Work with your colleague, the Minister of Environment, Water and Climate Change, towards contributing to a more prosperous and resilient economy through green technology and innovation;
- Work with your colleague, the Minister of Education and Lifelong Learning, to strike a task force of our labour market to identify challenges, shortages and opportunities across our industrial sectors;
- Work with your colleague, the Minister of Education and Lifelong Learning, to review program delivery of provincial immigration, Skills PEI, LMDA and LMA to ensure their goals and deliveries are aligned; and
- Work with your colleague, the Minister of Social Development and Housing, to establish a financing program to assist in the provision of housing units across the province.
Islanders expect us to fulfill our commitments, and it is my expectation that you will work with our skilled professional public service to deliver on this mandate. You are to consult with your Deputy Minister and other senior officials under your leadership to ensure that all decisions are solidly based on the best evidence available. The public service is a valuable resource and our government believes in building an even stronger work environment based upon clear communication, dignity for all employees and a mutual respect. The list of priorities is ambitious and will take time to plan and deliver to achieve successful outcomes.
I want to remind you of the importance of reducing red tape and other barriers facing Islanders accessing services and considering the climate impact while delivering on your priorities. These lenses must transcend through all Departments. Keep in mind that as we move forward our government’s priorities may have to adapt to reflect changes in circumstances. We will work together to ensure any amendments required are well thought out and reasoned.
All members of Cabinet are expected to review, understand and act according to the Conflict of Interest Act and to conduct themselves with the highest level of integrity. As a Minister of the Crown the manner in which you conduct yourself reflects on you, as well as your Cabinet colleagues and our government as a whole.
In addition to your mandate above, you have been appointed as Minister responsible for the City of Summerside. You are responsible to engage with the local government and stakeholders to advance the interests of the area and be their advocate at the Cabinet table.
I know I can count on you to fulfill the important responsibilities entrusted in you. In turn, please know that you can count on me to support you every day in your role as Minister.
I look forward to working together with you to build opportunity for all Islanders.
Honourable Dennis King
Premier of Prince Edward Island