If you would like to get a Certificate of Qualification in a designated trade on PEI, you must do one of the following:
- Successfully complete an apprenticeship program;
- Successfully challenge the certification exam based on experience in the trade; or
- Use your certification from another Canadian province or territory to apply for a PEI certificate, providing this trade is available for certification on PEI.
If you have written and passed an interprovincial exam for your trade on PEI, you will also get the Red Seal Endorsement attached to your Certificate of Qualification.
How do I find out if the trade I want offers certification and/or apprenticeship training?
For a list of trades that offer certification on PEI, refer to Prince Edward Island Designated Trades page.
Do I need to have certification to work in a trade on PEI?
Unless the trade is a compulsory certified trade, it is possible to work without a Certificate of Qualification. You can either be:
- A journeyperson who has successfully passed or met requirements of the certification exam and has achieved the Certification of Qualification for a specific trade; or
- A tradesperson who is not an apprentice but works for pay at a designated trade without certification . This may include an employer who works at a trade.
Can I challenge the certification exam without completing an apprenticeship program?
If you are a trade qualifier or someone with extensive practical work experience in a designated trade, you can apply to challenge the interprovincial exam for a specific trade.
How do I get an application to challenge a certification exam in a designated trade?
To get an application to challenge a certification exam, please do the following:
- Go to “Site Search” at the top of the page
- Type the name of your trade followed by application to challenge Interprovincial Exam. (Ex. Carpenter Application to Challenge Interprovincial Exam)
Who can I contact for more information about trades certifications?
Charlottetown Apprenticeship Office
Atlantic Technology Centre
Suite 212, 176 Great George Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-4460
Fax: (902) 368-6144
Summerside Apprenticeship Office
Access PEI Summerside
120 Heather Moyse Drive
PO Box 2063
Summerside, PE C1N 5L2
Telephone: (902) 888-8034
Fax: (902) 438-4096