Contractor (Earth-mover) Licensing Program

Le contenu suivant est seulement disponible en anglais.

Do I have to complete the Contractor Licensing Program if I am an earth-moving contractor?

No. The Contractor Licensing Program is voluntary.

Is there a benefit if I complete the Contractor Licensing Program?

Yes. Earth-moving contractors who complete the Contractor Licensing Program are eligible to apply for an Activity Business License for their company and an Activity Certificate for each of their employees. Companies that hold these are able to by-pass the regular process of obtaining a Watercourse, Wetland and Buffer Zone Activity Permit when they wish to do the following work:

  • shoreline stabilization
  • landscaping in a buffer zone
  • wharf construction or repairs on federally owned property, when approved by a federal department
  • operation of machinery on a beach or shoreline, and 
  • minor bridge repairs

The contractor must, however, register each project with the department. Work may proceed once the department provides an acknowledgment (usually via fax) that the registration form has been received. Typically, this acknowledgment is provided within 24 hours.

You can review the Construction Standards for Activity in Watercourses and Wetlands to learn more about this program.

Landowners using a licensed contractor (see below) do not have to submit an application for a Watercourse, Wetland and Buffer Zone Activity Permit.

How can I take the Contractor Licensing Program?

You must register with the department to take a one day training course. You must also complete a written exam. A pass mark of 85 per cent is required.  When you have successfully completed the course and exam, you must apply for an Activity Business License and Activity Certificate(s).

Training courses are offered every two years. The last training course was January 2016 but if anyone is interested in the training, contractors can pick up a Contractor Licensing Program Instructional Guide at the 4th Floor Jones and arrange to challenge the exam. Contact department staff for additional detail.

What is the cost?

There is no fee to take the training course or complete an exam.

The cost of an Activity Business License is $200.  There is no HST.

The cost of an Activity Certificate is $200.  There is no HST.

Make cheques payable to the PEI Minister of Finance.

How long are Activity Business Licenses and Activity Certificates valid?

Activity Business Licenses and Activity Certificates are valid for a maximum of two years from the date of the training course.

How long will it take to get an Activity Business License or Activity Certificate?

After you have successfully completed a training course and exam, you should allow three weeks to process your application.

Who can I contact for more information?

Jason Affleck (Watercourse and Wetland Alteration Technician)
4th FloorJones Building
11 Kent Street
Charlottetown, PEI
Telephone:  (902) 569-0589
Fax: (902) 368-5830

Kevin Arsenault (Watercourse and Wetland Alteration Supervisor)
Western Forest District Office
Telephone: (902) 854-7260
Fax: (902) 854-7448


Date de publication : 
le 4 Juin 2019
Environnement, Eau et Changement climatique

Renseignements généraux

Ministère de l'Environnement, de l'Eau et du Changement climatique
Immeuble Jones, 4e étage
11, rue Kent
C.P. 2000
Charlottetown (Î.-P.-É.) C1A 7N8

Téléphone : 902-368-5044
Sans frais : 1-866-368-5044
Télécopieur : 902-368-5830
Signaler une Préoccupation Environnementale