Groundwater Exploration and Extraction Permit

Le contenu suivant est seulement disponible en anglais.

What kinds of wells need a permit?

Any high-capacity well, commercial well, or well used as a central water supply system needs a Groundwater Extraction Permit. A high-capacity well supplies more than 4 L/second. Before this permit can be issued, a Groundwater Exploration Permit is required to drill a test well to determine if the desired volume and quality of water is available.  

What do I need to do to apply for a permit?

First, you need to fill out and submit an application form for a Groundwater Exploration Permit. Once a Groundwater Exploration Permit has been approved, additional tests and work, as outlined in the permit, must be completed and the results provided to the Department. Only then can a Groundwater Extraction Permit be issued.

What is the process for reviewing my application?

The Department will assess the application for a Groundwater Exploration Permit. If the Department does not believe the well will have a major impact on other groundwater users or the environment, a permit will be issued. Once you obtain a Groundwater Exploration Permit, you will be asked to perform testing and assessments as identified by the Department. If test information shows that the well will not have a major impact on other groundwater users or an unacceptable impact on the environment, you will be issued a Groundwater Extraction Permit.

How long will it take to get a permit?

  • Groundwater Exploration Permit:  You should allow one to six weeks to process your application.
  • Groundwater Extraction Permit:  After all required testing and assessment information has been provided to the Department, please allow one to ten weeks to process your application.

What is the fee?

There is no fee.

Who can I contact for more information?

Li, Qing  (Hydrogeologist)
Jones Building, 4th Floor
11 Kent Street
Charlottetown, PEI
Telephone (902) 368-4668
Fax (902) 368-5830


Date de publication : 
le 4 Juin 2019
Environnement, Énergie et Action climatique

Renseignements généraux

Ministère de l'Environnement, Énergie et Action climatique 
Immeuble Jones, 4e étage
11, rue Kent
C.P. 2000
Charlottetown (Î.-P.-É.) C1A 7N8

Téléphone : 902-368-5044
Sans frais : 1-866-368-5044
Télécopieur : 902-368-5830
Signaler une Préoccupation Environnementale