Tree Insect and Disease Information
Staff from the J. Frank Gaudet Tree Nursery facility in Charlottetown offer a free tree and shrub insect and disease identification and treatment recommendation service to Island property owners.
Submitting a sample for analysis
The J. Frank Gaudet Tree Nursery facility no longer accepts plant samples for insect and disease identification at the Nursery facility. Complete the Tree Insect and Disease Analysis Request Form. and take the form to:
*For plant disease diagnosis:
- Dead plant materials are not acceptable.
- DO NOT submit plant disease samples in plastic bags or containers.
- Generally, diseases are concentrated at a border between healthy and infected tissues. If possible, please include this border area when submitting samples.
- Press dry samples flat between sheets of newsprint or in a paper bag to help to preserve them.
*For plant insect diagnosis:
- Include enough host plant tissue to clearly show the damage or symptoms and to provide a food source that will sustain the insects for a few days.
- Insect samples can be placed in ventilated plastic bags or plastic containers.
* Samples sent through interoffice mail must fit into an envelope 24 cm x 30 cm (9.5” x 12”)
Other insect and disease identification resources
Islanders can also self-service information on insects and plant diseases through the Tree Insects and Diseases: Prince Edward Island Facebook page. This page focuses on insects and diseases problems that arise during the growing season, as well as environmental, structural and climate-related tree health issues. Most pages also offers tips on how to deal with these issues.
Additional information on Invasive Plants, Insect and Diseases can also be found at: PEI Invasive Species Council web site.