Shoreline Stabilization

Le contenu suivant est seulement disponible en anglais.

What is shoreline stabilization?

In the past, development along PEI’s shoreline was often undertaken with little thought given to the risks associated with erosion or flooding. As a result, many owners of shoreline properties are now faced with three alternatives:

  1. Do nothing and risk losing much of their physical property and/or existing buildings;
  2. Relocate buildings farther inland and allow the shoreline to erode naturally; or
  3. Reduce the rate of erosion by attempting to stabilize the shoreline.

The Department does not recommend, as a first alternative, the use of artificial stabilization along PEI’s perimeter coastline. The Department does recommend locating new buildings, or relocating existing buildings, at a higher elevation and farther inland from the water. Government also does not provide financial assistance to landowners for shoreline stabilization work or for storm damage repair. Following a significant storm event, landowners who have property damage may contact the PEI Office of Public Safety at (902) 894-0385 to inquire about possible financial assistance.

Landowners can also obtain information about the levels of erosion and flood risk for their property by obtaining a Coastal Erosion and Flood Risk Assessment.

How can I stabilize the shoreline of my property?

Landowners can hire a licensed contractor to install shoreline stabilization structures under the Contractor Licensing Program. A list of licensed contractors is available. If shoreline stabilization work is proposed by someone other than a licensed contractor, a Watercourse, Wetland and Buffer Zone Activity Permit is required prior to starting any such activity. 

Who can I contact for more information?

Areas west of Hunter River:

Kevin Arsenault (Watercourse and Wetland Alteration Supervisor)
Western Forest District Office
Telephone: (902) 854-7260
Fax: (902) 854-7448
Email: sends e-mail)

Hunter River and east:

Shawn Banks (Environment Officer)
4th FloorJones Building
11 Kent Street
Charlottetown, PEI
Telephone:  (902) 368-5700
Fax: (902) 368-5830


Date de publication : 
le 1 Février 2022
Environnement, Énergie et Action climatique

Renseignements généraux

Ministère de l'Environnement, Énergie et Action climatique 
Immeuble Jones, 4e étage
11, rue Kent
C.P. 2000
Charlottetown (Î.-P.-É.) C1A 7N8

Téléphone : 902-368-5044
Sans frais : 1-866-368-5044
Télécopieur : 902-368-5830
Signaler une Préoccupation Environnementale