PEI Aquaculture and Fisheries Research Initiative Inc.
- (a) provide core funding to support applied and developmental research not covered by other federal or provincial research programs and
- (b) to improve competitiveness and sustainability of the industry.
What is the function of the organization?
- (a) stimulate the conduct of scientifically valid short-term (normally three years or less) applied and developmental research related to the aquaculture sector, to the commercial fishery and to fish processing in PEI;
- (b) enhance the knowledge-based economy within the province by promoting the creation of expertise that will be available to the industry;
- (c) build and strengthen partnerships among research agencies and the private sector;
- (d) focus resources on aquaculture and fisheries related research and development capabilities.
Primary Role: Adjudicative
Material Role: Professional Organization
How many people are on the organization?
The number of the directors of the Company shall be a minimum of seven and a maximum of nine.
What are the requirements of organization members?
Directors shall be appointed in the following categories:
- (i) one director shall be an employee of the Department responsible for Fisheries and Aquaculture
- (ii) one director shall be an employee of Fisheries and Oceans Canada;
- (iii) one director shall be from the academic community;
- (iv) at least one director shall be from the aquaculture industry;
- (v) at least one director shall be from the commercial fisheries sector;
- (vi) at least one director may be appointed from the community at large.
Work & Experience Requirements
Dependant on the position being applied for.
Mediation and tribunal skills. An understanding of business practices and a knowledge of the aquaculture and fisheries industries on PEI.
What are the nomination requirements?
Statutory Nomination Requirements
The appointment of directors shall be subject to the approval of the Lieutenant Governor in Council.
Will I get paid?
Chair - $161/diem and Members - $109/diem.
What is the time commitment of the organization?
Frequency and times of meetings regulated by the chair or by directors.
The positions of Department of Fisheries representative and Fisheries and Oceans Canada representative may hold office at their pleasure. The other positions may by held for three-year terms, and are eligible for re-election.
|Name||County||Term Start||Term End|
|Angela Gaudet||Prince County||Mar 31, 2012||Mar 31, 2015|
|James Power||Queens County||Apr 2, 2014||Mar 31, 2016|
|Jason Handrahan||Prince County||Mar 31, 2013||Mar 31, 2016|
|Dawn Runighan||Kings County||Mar 31, 2014||Mar 31, 2017|
|Randy Angus||Kings County||Mar 31, 2014||Mar 31, 2017|
|Dr. Robert Gilmour||Queens County||Oct 29, 2014||Oct 29, 2017|
|Mike Cherry||Queens County||Jun 8, 2014||at pleasure|
|Neil MacNair||Jun 22, 2016||at pleasure|
How can I apply?
If you would like to serve as a member of a provincial government agency, board, or commission (ABC) you can apply online through Engage PEI