Retail Sales Tax Exemption - Inheritance
This section provides information on eligibility for a waiver of Retail Sales Tax where designated property has been acquired though an inheritance.
What requirements must be met for the Retail Sales Tax inheritance exemption?
Vehicles and other designated property are not subject to the Retail Sales Tax when the property has been acquired through an inheritance, regardless of the deceased owner’s former place of residence if:
- The individual is named in the will;
- The executor has the authority to disburse the assets; and
- The designated property is received as part of the distribution of the deceased’s estate.
What documentation is needed for the exemption to be granted?
Required documentation includes:
- A copy of the will identifying the vehicle and other designated property;
- A sworn statement from the executor; and
- A certificate of death.
Who should I contact if I have questions about the Retail Sales Tax inheritance exemption?
Taxation and Property Records
Phone: (902) 368-4070
Fax: (902) 368-6164