Youth Probation Orders

Le contenu suivant est seulement disponible en anglais.

What is a Probation Order?

A Probation Order is a court order which requires a young person to comply with conditions while on Probation. All probation orders have the following standard conditions:

  • Keep the peace and be of good behavior
  • Appear before the Court when required to do so
  • Tell the Court or probation officer about any change of name, address or job

Other conditions may be added, depending on the individual needs of the offender.

How long can a Probation Order last?

A Judge may issue a probation order for any length of time up to a maximum of two years.

How often do I have to meet with a Youth Justice Worker?

Every case is different. It depends on the seriousness of the offence, the risk that you will re-offend and the supports you need from the Court. The frequency is up to the discretion of the Youth Justice Worker and depends on risk, needs. 

What will happen if I do not follow the conditions of my Probation Order?

Clients who willfully do not comply with the conditions of their Probation Order may be charged with a new offence called “Breach of Probation” and brought before the Court to answer to the new charge, which could result in a new/additional sentence.

Do I have a record after my Probation Order is over?

Many people think that a youth court record is closed once you turn 18, but turning 18 has nothing to do with closing your record. The time period before a youth court record is closed ranges from three to five years after you complete your sentence and any probation period. The more serious your crime, the longer your record stays open. If you commit a second offence before the three to five year waiting period is up, your record for the original offence may be kept open beyond that three to five year period. If you commit an offence after turning 18 and are convicted of that offence while your youth record is open, your youth record becomes part of your adult record. If you are given an adult sentence in youth court for a very serious crime, your record is treated like an adult record. 

Adult records remain open for life, unless you get a record suspension. A record suspension officially seals an adult criminal record.

Can I travel to other countries while I am on Probation?

You may be restricted in entering other countries if you are on Probation. This is a decision of the receiving country and the decision varies from one country to the next. It is recommended that you contact the country of your destination prior to your departure to inquire about your circumstances.

Where can I get more information?

Youth Justice Services at (902) 368-4587. Also, the Community Legal Information Association of PEI, (CLIA) has brochures on criminal law matters. CLIA provides information on the law through a toll-free number 1-800-240-9798 or email address 

Are there costs for this service?

There are no fees to access this service.

Where do I find a lawyer or what if I can’t afford a lawyer?

To find a lawyer, you can check in the Yellow Pages of the phone book. Both lawyers and firm names are listed in alphabetical order under "Lawyers". Another way to find a lawyer is through the Lawyer Referral Service run by Community Legal Information Association (CLIA). If you call this service, you will be given the names of a lawyer who deal with criminal law. You may see the lawyers for a brief consultation for a low fee. You can reach the Lawyer Referral Service by phoning 902-892-0853 or toll-free 1-800-240-9798.

Date de publication : 
le 15 Juin 2016
Justice et de la Sécurité publique

Renseignements généraux

Community and Correctional Services Division 
109 Water Street
Summerside, PE   C1N 5L2
Phone: 902-432-2528
Fax: 902-432-2851