Complaint Handling Process for Consumers

Le contenu suivant est seulement disponible en anglais.

What is the process for filing a complaint?

The process for filing is that:

  • all complaints need to be filed with Consumer Services in writing
  • an officer will contact the business to ask for a response
  • the officer then advises the consumer of the response 
  • the process continues until an agreement is reached or until the parties reach an impasse  
  • dispute resolutions can take place only when all parties are willing
  • the office cannot impose a settlement or guarantee the results  
  • if an agreement cannot be reached, either party may take the matter to court

Why would you choose dispute resolution or mediation?

Dispute resolution or mediation is:

  • informal
  • confidential
  • for individuals affected that are involved in finding a solution
  • used to resolve complaints more quickly than a formal process

Note: Before you contact Consumer Services, you are encouraged to try to resolve the problem.

What steps can I use to help resolve the problem?

  • put your complaint in writing
  • if it is necessary to call, keep a written log of who you spoke to, what was said, and the date and time of the conversation
  • find out exactly who should receive your complaint; a customer service manager, a store manager, or the owner of the business
  • be clear in stating the problem and how you want it to be resolved
  • stick to the facts
  • include as much information as possible about the product, such as a serial model or brand name and number and any actions you have taken so far to resolve the problem
  • include copies of receipts, warranties, repair invoices and keep the originals
  • request a reasonable time for a response
  • if you don’t receive satisfaction within a reasonable time, contact the manufacturer
  • if you still do not receive satisfaction, contact consumer services

Note: All complaints involving breaches of the consumer protection legislation administered by Consumer Services are assessed and, where appropriate, are forwarded for internal investigation or referred to a police agency for the consideration of the laying of charges.

Who can I contact for more information?

Consumer, Corporate and Financial Services Divison
Shaw Building, 1st Floor North
105 Rochford Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE  C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-4550
Fax: (902) 368-5283


Date de publication : 
le 10 Janvier 2020
Justice et Sécurité publique

Renseignements généraux

Consumer, Corporate and Financial Services Division
1st Floor, Shaw Building (North Entrance)
105 Rochford Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8
Phone: 902-368-4550
Fax: 902-368-5283