Supporting a Worker for Immigration
The Labour Impact Category is an employer-driven category, designed to help you fill permanent labour shortages and skill gaps in your business by supporting foreign nationals for permanent residency. There are three different streams which aim to address different needs. The Skilled Worker Stream allows you to attract highly skilled individuals, the Critical Worker Stream allows you to attract semi-skilled individuals, and the International Graduate stream allows you to attract recent graduates from PEI post-secondary institutions.
Am I eligible?
For all streams of the Labour Impact Category, the employer is responsible for ensuring:
- Employment is full-time (training, internship or apprenticeship positions that terminate on a specific date will NOT be considered).
- Employment contract is for a permanent position (i.e. minimum length of 2 years).
- Employment in the intended occupation is consistent with the applicant’s ability to perform the job, based on the applicant’s education, training and/or experience.
- Employment terms and conditions meet all applicable provincial and federal employment workplace standards and the comparable industry wage rate.
- Employment of the applicant does not contravene existing bargaining unit agreements or employment disputes.
- Employment is in Prince Edward Island.
- Employment that requires provincial licensing or accreditation has been verified to ensure the applicant has the necessary credentials to be eligible to work in the occupation in Prince Edward Island.
- Employment contract is provided, which includes the terms and conditions of the full-time job offer, signatures of the authorized signing officer of the company, and the employee (applicant) accepting the offer and conditions of employment.
- Settlement support is provided to the applicant and the family to help them establish.
- Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is provided, if applicable.
- Attendance at an interview at the Office of Immigration, if required.
- Documentation is provided to demonstrate effort to recruit for the intended profession has been unsuccessful within Canada and the position is critical to the operation of the employers business.
How do I apply?
While the Labour Impact Category streams are employer-driven, the bulk of the application process is the responsibility of the foreign national. The employer must complete the job offer form to be submitted with the complete application.
Do I have to pay a fee?
The application fee for all streams is $300. This fee is non-refundable. The fee can be paid by either the applicant or the employer and the fee must accompany the application package.
What forms do I need to fill out?
As the employer, you must complete the job offer form.
Who can I contact to ask questions?
Forward questions related to the Labour Impact Category to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (902) 620-3628.