Rural Jobs Initiative
The purpose of the Rural Jobs Initiative is designed to stimulate business development, provide real and practical assistance to rural businesses, and enhance employment opportunities in rural communities.
The Rural Jobs Initiative (RJI) will also assist non-governmental organizations that focus on rural community economic development and rural resources to strengthen capacity and enhance the focus on developing the rural economy. Businesses and non-profit groups can use the program as a means to train and mentor new staff. Preference will be given to positions that have the greatest potential to lead to permanent full time employment.
Who is eligible for funding assistance?
Registered businesses and qualified non-government organizations located outside of the Greater Charlottetown area (including Stratford and Cornwall) and the urban core of Summerside are eligible to apply to the Rural Jobs Initiative.
Eligible non-profit incorporated organizations can include those that concentrate on rural resources and community economic development. These organizations may include:
- Community Business Development Corporations,
- Community Economic Development Organizations,
- Municipalities/Band Councils (or their development agency), and
- Sector/Natural resource enhancement associations.
Consideration can be given to registered businesses and non-profit organizations within the Greater Charlottetown and urban core of Summerside if the applicant can demonstrate key support to rural based industries or if the project is Island wide in scope. The initiative priority will remain with rural based businesses.
To be eligible for participation, the employer’s selected individual must not be a member of the immediate family of the employer. “Immediate family” is defined as:
- Father or mother (or alternately stepfather, stepmother or foster parent),
- Brother or sister,
- Spouse (including common-law partner),
- Stepchild or ward of the sponsor,
- Father-in-law or mother-in-law, or
- Relative permanently residing in the employer’s household or with whom the employer permanently resides.
What funding assistance is available?
- The Rural Jobs Initiative will fund up to 75 per cent of positions up to a rate of 15.60 per hour (inclusive of vacation pay) for up to 14 weeks based upon funding of a 40 hour week. Businesses will not normally receive more than one position unless positions are in keeping with the purpose of the Initiative and the budget allocation is favourable.
- The Initiative will provide for up to 75 per cent of the employer's share of Mandatory Employers Related Costs (MERCS) such as EI, CPP, and Workers = compensation premiums.
How do I apply for the program?
What is the program deadline?
The program expires March 31, 2022. No claims for funding will be accepted with expenditures incurred after that date.
Who do I contact for more information?
For information on the Rural Jobs Initiative or for general assistance in working out the details of an application, please contact a Community Development Officer in your area.
|Location||Officer||Phone Number||Email Address|
|West Prince||Ellen Rennieemail@example.com|
|East Prince/Central Queens||Kellie Mulliganfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Evangeline||Giselle Bernard (bilingual)||email@example.com|
|Southern Kings/Queens||Sonia Dixonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Eastern Kings||Chris Blaisdellemail@example.com|
PEI Department of Fisheries and Communities
Employment Development Agency
548 Main Street, Montague, PO Box 1180, PE C0A 1R0