Locum – General Surgeon – Summerside
The Department of Surgery at the Prince County Hospital has locum opportunities available for short-term assignments and long-term locum up to 6 months. Located in Summerside, the Prince County Hospital is a 110-bed regional hospital with a six bed ICU that provides specialty services in Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Anesthesia, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Pediatrics, ENT and Psychiatry.
The Prince County Hospital is operated by Health PEI, a crown corporation responsible for the delivery of publicly funded health services in Prince Edward Island. Health PEI’s head office is located at 16 Garfield Street, Charlottetown, PEI.
The physician shall have the option of choosing fee-for-service or contract for service payment modality;
- Contract for service hourly range: $138.02 – $157.77 per hour (Dependent upon work experience);
- On-call services are paid on a fee-for-service basis over and above the hourly contract for service rate. Fee-for-service rates are based on the tariff of fees listed in the Master Agreement; and
- Additional stipend available for on-call services.
Hours of Work:
- Up to 37.5 hours/week to a maximum 1,725 hours/year for contact for service physicians;
- Participation is required for on-call services at the Prince County Hospital; frequency of on-calls is 1 in 3.
- Application fees with the Medical Society of PEI and some application fees with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of PEI will be covered.
- Cost of return travel to Prince Edward Island based on an economy airfare to a maximum of $2,000. If travelling by car, mileage will be reimbursed as determined by PEI Treasury Board rates and bridge and road tolls reimbursed with submission of receipts. Reimbursement for travel by car is not to exceed the cost of economy airfare. Reimbursement for travel over $2,000 will be considered with prior approval from the Locum Program Coordinator where no other options exist.
- Option A:
- $200/day with no receipts; or
- Option B:
- Reimbursement for car rental up to $1,400 weekly and/or accommodations up to $300 nightly, with receipts and daily stipend of $50 (no receipts required) to cover incidentals. Car rental and accommodations exceeding the rates indicated above require advance approval by the Locum Program Coordinator.
- Non-working days: For Options A & B, locums will be reimbursed as per their selected option, where this cost is less than the return travel home on off days. Reimbursement for non-working days will be considered with prior approval from the Locum Program Coordinator.
Certifications and Other Requirements:
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada eligibility or certification;
- Eligibility for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Prince Edward Island;
- Appointment to the Health PEI Medical Staff and appropriate privileging;
- US Boards are acceptable; and
- Work experience preferable
Apply to Provide Locum Services in PEI
For further information:
Physician Recruitment Coordinator
Recruitment & Retention Secretariat
Department of Health & Wellness
(902) 368-6302; email@example.com
"In the event of a discrepancy in information on this website and the Master Agreement, the Master Agreement shall prevail."