Special Event Sign
Festivals and events require approval to allow for temporary special event signs on Island highways.
- All signs within view of an Island highway are controlled by the Highway Signage Act.
- All special event signs require permits.
- A special event sign is used during a specific festival or event.
- Applicants are responsible for providing their own sign(s).
- These signs are for directional purposes only and are to be placed immediately before an event and removed immediately after.
What does the sign look like?
- Signs are 61 cm (2 feet) by 61 cm (2 feet).
- The event name and an arrow should be on each special event sign.
What is the cost of having a sign?
- $10 plus HST for a set of signs for each event.
- Each permit covers a maximum of six signs for the event.
How do I apply for a sign?
Fill out the application for special event sign and submit it along with a drawing of your sign.
- The sign can only be within 15 km of the event.
- The maximum number of signs per event is six.
- Payment, including HST, must accompany the application.
- Please note that signs cannot be attached to utility poles or trees and cannot be located in any way that endangers the safety of the travelling public.
Who do I contact for more Information?