BRIDGE ENGINEER (E.I.T) INTERN
FULL-TIME TEMPORARY INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT (Commencing April 2019 for 26 weeks)
LOCATION – Charlottetown
The Department of Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy has created six-month internship placements for graduates in the fields of engineering, lab technologists, construction technology and management, building inspector and visitor services.
This intern will work in the Bridges and Highway Design section of the Capital Projects Division. The intern will work with a Bridge Engineer to assist with the delivery of the Capital Bridge Construction Program as well as the Bridge Inspection Program and Bridge Asset Management program. Duties will include meeting with Department staff to establish capital project needs, developing concept design solutions, preparing tender documents, reviewing and inspecting design work completed by private sector consultants, periodic monitoring of construction work and detailed bridge inspections. The intern will have the opportunity to gain experience in the planning, design and construction activities that are required for Capital Bridge Construction Projects. The intern will also gain an understanding of the bridge asset management side of the Bridges and Highway Design Section.
• Must have graduated with a university degree in Civil Engineering within the last two (2) years and are seeking a focused work term;
• Effective oral and written communication skills;
• Sound judgement and strong interpersonal skills;
• Reliability with a good attendance record;
• Must have a valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation;
• Familiarity with computer software, specifically Microsoft suite and CADD;
• Provide a satisfactory current Criminal Records Check, prior to employment;
• Provide a current Hearing Test, prior to employment;
• Experience related to bridge design or construction would be an asset.
Knowledge and Skills the Intern May Require:
• Knowledge of the role that Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy plays in the delivery of Capital Bridge Construction for Prince Edward Island Department of Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy.
• Knowledge of the bridge planning, design and construction processes.
• Ability to plan, organize and set priorities.
Note: Please ensure the application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applicants will be screened based on the information provided. The successful candidate will be the only individual receiving written notification of competition results. The “Notification of Successful Candidates” list posted on the Employment Opportunity board will serve to inform all other applicants of competition results.
Salary Range: $22.44 per hour (UPSE Level 11, Step 3)
Bi-Weekly Hours: 75.0 hours bi-weekly
Closing Date: March 18, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Posting ID: 136351-0219TITO
Apply for this position:
Submit your application by mail, fax or online
PEI Public Service Commission
P.O. Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8.
Fax: (902) 368-4383
It is the responsibility of the applicant to confirm receipt of the application, by telephone or in person prior to the closing date. Please ensure that the appropriate Posting ID number is stated on all application forms.