TWO (2) CONSTRUCTION TECHNOLOGIST INTERNS
FULL-TIME TEMPORARY INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT (Commencing April 2019 for 26 weeks)
LOCATION – Charlottetown
The Department of Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy has created six-month internship placements for graduates in the fields of engineering, lab technologists, construction technology and management, building inspector and visitor services.
This intern will work with the Highway Maintenance Division within the Department and will assist in the planning/delivery of the many seasonal maintenance activities provided by the Division. Duties will include determining seasonal highway maintenance requirements, preparing work estimates, scheduling/contracting work and supervising projects to completion. Other duties will include aiding in determination of appropriate snow and ice control measures. The intern will have the opportunity to gain experience in the planning and execution of the numerous highway maintenance activities required of the Highway Maintenance Division. The intern will also gain an understanding of the relationship between the Division, the public, communities/towns/municipalities and other Government of PEI Departments which rely on Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy for the delivery of their seasonal maintenance requirements.
• Must have completed a post- secondary diploma in Construction Technology and Management within the last two (2) years and are seeking a focused work term;
• Effective oral and written communication skills;
• Sound judgement and strong interpersonal skills;
• Reliability with a good attendance record;;
• Valid Driver’s license and access to reliable transportation;
• Familiarity with computer software, Microsoft office (Word, Excel, etc.) ;
• Provide a satisfactory current Criminal Records Check, prior to employment;
• Provide a current Hearing Test, prior to employment;
• Experience related to transportation road maintenance would be an asset.
Knowledge & Skills the Intern May Require:
• Knowledge of the role that Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy plays though the delivery of year round road maintenance activities.
• Knowledge of the execution of the many seasonal maintenance activities provided by the Highway Maintenance Division.
• Knowledge of current challenges surrounding maintaining aging infrastructure (culverts, asphalt, etc.).
Salary Range: $22.44 per hour (UPSE Level 11, Step 3)
Bi-Weekly Hours: 75.0 hours bi-weekly
Closing Date: March 18, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Posting ID: 136353-0219TITO
Apply for this position
Submit your application by mail, fax or online
PEI Public Service Commission
P.O. Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8.
Fax: (902) 368-4383
It is the responsibility of the applicant to confirm receipt of the application, by telephone or in person prior to the closing date. Please ensure that the appropriate Posting ID number is stated on all application forms.