Vehicle Registration Ownership Transfers
- carry the signed off registration, bill of sale and proof of valid insurance for the purchased vehicle with you, so these documents maybe presented to Police if required.
- if you have a valid license plate in your name attach it to the vehicle until such time the vehicle transfer has been completed.
To transfer a vehicle the seller must complete and sign off the back of the registration marked vehicle permit. The seller must complete the Notification of Transfer form on the registration permit and mail within 7 days of the transfer date to:
Registrar of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PEI C1A 7N8
The buyer shall within 7 days of the date of transfer have the registration of the vehicle transferred into their name. When transferring the buyer must present:
- Vehicle permit (signed off by previous owner)
- Bill of sale (receipt)
- Motor vehicle inspection form (in the present owner's name or buyer's name)
- Valid insurance card (pink slip)
Tax will be collected on Redbook value, bill of sale or appraisal, whichever is greater. Detailed instructions are also printed on the back of a registration permit.
For more information on transferring vehicle registration ownership, please consult the Highway Traffic Act.
General Contact Information