Apply for Child Care Allowance
As part of the Renew PEI Together Plan, families who are returning to work are eligible to receive a child care allowance of up to $75 per child, per week between May 22, 2020 and June 26, 2020 to help with child care costs.
How is the child care allowance paid?
Eligible families will receive:
- an automatic reduction in their weekly fee at their licensed child care centre; or
- a one-time lump sum payment after June 26,2020 if they are using private child care services.
Note: If your child attends a licensed child care centre, you do not need to apply for the Child Care Allowance. Your licensed child care centre will automatically reduce your weekly fee.
Am I eligible to receive the Child Care Allowance?
You may be eligible for the Child Care Allowance if you meet the following conditions between the period of May 22,2020 and June 26,2020:
- you are a resident of Prince Edward Island;
- you are working in Prince Edward Island;
- your spouse/common law partner is working;
- you receive child care services in Prince Edward Island;
- you are be the parent or guardian of the child; and
- the child is 12 and under.
How do I apply?
Eligible families can apply online by clicking the 'Apply Now' button at the bottom of this page.
Applications must be complete and include all required information including:
- Personal Health Number (Health Card Number) of:
- the individual applying;
- spouse/common law partner (if applicable); and
- children 12 and under who are receiving child care.
- Workplace information of:
- the individual applying; and,
- spouse/common law partner (if applicable).
- Child care provider
- Other funds or support you are currently receiving for child care services such as, the Child Care Subsidy Program
- Banking information – void cheque OR correspondence from your financial institution for direct deposit
- Completed and signed Payee Registration Form – Note: All applicants are required to submit a Payee Registration Form, even if you have submitted one in the past. Please do not send questions to the email address on the form. All questions should be submitted to email@example.com
- Child Care Expenses Receipt – will be available soon and can be submitted separately.
When using the online application, you will upload electronic copies of your documentation. If the files you are uploading are large, you may need to reduce them. Read Resizing Photos for Online Applications for more information.
What child care expenses can I claim?
You can claim the following child care expenses:
- private child care centre fees;
- caregivers such as nannies and private sitters; or
- day camps if the primary purpose is child care.
This excludes expenses for:
- child care provided by the child’s parent, your spouse or common-law partner;
- educational institutions such as, boarding schools or sporting programs; or
- recreational programs.
What is the deadline for the application?
Submit your application by June 1, 2020 to ensure timely payment processing.
The Child Care Expense Receipt will be available soon and can be submitted separately.
For more information on the COVID-19 Child Care Allowance, contact