Apply for a Fish Processor Licence
You must have licence to process fish or fish products for commercial purposes in PEI. This licence expires each December 31st and must be renewed by the zone deadline described below. In addition, you are required to provide yearly statistics on fish processed during the licence period in accordance with the Fisheries Act Regulations.
You can use the online forms below to apply for your annual fish processor licence and submit your annual statement.
The deadline to apply for a licence is as follows:
Area 24 & 26: March 31st
Area 25: July 31st
Processing licences are issued in the following categories:
- Primary processing (includes secondary processing) - cleaning, filleting, splitting, shucking, extracting, dividing into portions, salting, icing, freezing, cooking, pickling, drying, canning, bottling or reducing fish
- Secondary processing (lobster or Groundfish) - any processing stage beyond primary processing to add further value to a fish product by transforming taste or texture with ingredients other than salt or water, i.e. smoked salmon.
- Lobster cook room - operated in conjunction with a lobster pound (max size 144 ft2).
- Groundfish processing
What do I need to complete the online form?
You will be asked to enter and submit the following information:
- Full contact information including the civic or street address of your facility
- PEI corporate registration number
- Processed product details, i.e. species, end product form (secondary licence only).
- If you are renewing your licence, you your complete the Fish Processor Yearly Statement before submitting your Fish Processor Licence application
- Full payment according to licence type
How long will it take to complete the online form?
Providing you have the information ready and your annual statement completed, you can complete this form in less than 10 minutes.
What is the fee?
The annual fee for a licence to process fish according to category is listed below. There is no HST.
- Primary - $200
- Secondary - $200
- Lobster cook room - $75
- Groundfish processing - $75
How long will it take to process my application?
Please allow two weeks to process your application. Your licence will be issued by Fish Inspection staff.
What else should I know about this licence?
In addition to a fish processor licence, you will require a fish buyer licence if you intend to purchase the product you process directly from fishers.
You can request an automated e-mail reminder to renew your licences each year using the Add a Reminder feature on the right side of this page.
Who can I contact for more information?
For more information contact:
PEI Department of Agriculture & Fisheries
PO Box 1180
Montague, PE C0A 1R0
Telephone: (902) 838-0826
Fax: (902) 838-0975
Le gouvernement de l’Île-du-Prince-Édouard accepte les paiements en ligne faits avec Visa, MasterCard ou Interac En Ligne pour ce service.
Visitez le site web d’Interac En Ligne pour voir si votre institution financière offre ce service.