Apply for a Watercourse, Wetland and Buffer Zone Activity Permit

Le contenu suivant est seulement disponible en anglais.

You will need an activity permit if you wish to conduct work in a watercourse, wetland or 15 m buffer zone on or near your property. Unauthorized changes made to a watercourse, wetland or buffer zone may result in damage to the environment, water quality, infrastructure and property. 

What kind of activities can be done in or around a watercourse, wetland, or buffer zone, and how much do they cost?

  • Boardwalk construction in a buffer zone - $50
  • Boardwalk construction in a wetland or sand dune - $100
  • Boat launch or shoreline access - $100
  • Dam or impoundment maintenance - $100
  • Dredging - $100
  • Landscaping - $100
  • New bridge - $100
  • New culvert - $100
  • Repair a bridge - $100
  • Repair a culvert - $100
  • Road construction - $100
  • Seaweed removal or relocation - $100
  • Shoreline protection - $100
  • Stairway to beach - $50
  • Temporary crossing - $100
  • Tree cutting (forest management) - $50
  • Tree cutting (water view) - $100
  • Watercourse enhancement or maintenance - $50
  • Water withdrawal for irrigation - $300
  • Wetland alteration - $100
  • Wetland enhancement or maintenance - $50
  • Wharf repair or construction (in-water work) - $100
  • Wharf repair or construction (no in-water work) - $50
  • Other activities - $50

What activities are free, but still require a permit?

  • Beaver dam notching or removal to prevent property damage
  • Build a floating dock
  • Stream enhancement
  • Tree cutting for safety hazard(s) or cutting four trees or less

Who can apply?

Any individual, business, organization, etc. that requires work in or near watercourses, wetlands or buffer zones may apply. 

Are there any groups that are exempt from paying fees?

Licensed contractors, community improvement groups, watershed groups, provincial government departments, agencies, and crown corporations are exempt from paying fees. 

How do you apply?

Fill out the online form below and pay the required fee (if applicable).

You must attach the following documents to speed up the processing of your application:

  • Map of location (aerial photo or GIS map)
  • Pre-construction colour photographs of the work site
  • Sketch of the proposed work showing construction details and dimensions
  • Written description of the proposed activity

You can also attach these optional documents:

  • Engineered plans or drawings (if available)
  • Erosion and sedimentation control plan

Depending on the activity, certain fields in the form will have to be filled out. For example, if you want dredging on your property, you must fill out the fields under the Dewatering of Work Area section. Read the description under the field labels to find more information.

You must also have the approval of the registered property owner if you are not the owner of the property.

How long does it take to apply online?

The online application usually takes 10-20 minutes depending on the type of work to be carried out on the watercourse, wetland or buffer zone. It is important that you do not close your web browser until you have submitted the application and made your payment, if required. If you close your browser you will lose all of your entered information.

Is there a deadline to apply?

Forms should be submitted at least six weeks before the anticipated project start date.

I have multiple activities that I need to complete. Can I fill out the form once for all activities?

You must fill out the form for each activity that you want to complete. For example, if you want to install a culvert and carry out erosion control work you will need to fill out the form twice. 

How do I save my contact information so I don’t have to fill it out each time I use the online form?

The Google Chrome web browser allows you to save your name, address, phone number and email address so you don’t have to fill it out every time you use the online form. When you enter information in a form field, Chrome will ask if you would like to save the information. To accept, simply choose the “Save” option that appears. 

Note: Chrome will only save your contact information. You will still have to fill out the fields specific to the activity permit.

When can I start to do work?

Environment Officers will review your application and notify you if it has been approved or denied. It typically takes at least six weeks to process your request.

Submitting an application form and paying the applicable fee does not mean you are approved to begin work. The application must be assessed and your request could be denied. 

Where do I find information about activity guidelines?

Read the Watercourse, Wetland and Buffer Zone Activity Guidelines (7 Mb)

Can I apply for an activity permit by mail?

Fill out the Application for a Watercourse, Wetland and Buffer Zone Activity Permit and mail it with payment to:

Department of Environment, Water and Climate Change
4th Floor Jones Building
11 Kent Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Who can I contact for more information?

General Questions
Environmental Land Management Section
Telephone: (902) 368-5700
Fax: (902) 368-5830


Le présent service accepte les paiements faits avec Visa, VISA Debit, MasterCard et Debit MasterCard.

Environnement, Énergie et Action climatique

Renseignements généraux

Ministère de l'Environnement, Énergie et Action climatique 
Immeuble Jones, 4e étage
11, rue Kent
C.P. 2000
Charlottetown (Î.-P.-É.) C1A 7N8

Téléphone : 902-368-5044
Sans frais : 1-866-368-5044
Télécopieur : 902-368-5830
Signaler une Préoccupation Environnementale