Apply for the Tourism Activation Grant
The intent of the Tourism Activation Grant program is to provide tourism businesses with a non-repayable financial contribution toward eligible expenses to assist with capital and/or maintenance costs associated with opening for the 2021 season.
This program is intended to support investments that will help your tourism businesses adapt to a new normal and position you to capitalize on future economic recovery.
The Tourism Activation Grant will provide assistance to PEI tourism businesses in amounts from $2,500 to $50,000. The program will be administered through a partnership between Tourism PEI and the following Community Business Development Corporations (CBDCs):
- West Prince Ventures Limited
- East Prince Development Inc.
- Active Communities Inc.
The total obligation of the Government of Prince Edward Island under the Tourism Activation Grant will not exceed three million dollars ($3,000,000). The Government of Prince Edward Island reserves the right to pro-rate payments at any point during the program period should the total claims from operators exceed $3,000,000.
Who is eligible?
- must demonstrate a minimum 30% decrease in tourism related revenues for 2020 compared to 2019;
- must have at least $25,000 in gross revenues for 2019;
- the applicant is responsible to provide proof of previous year’s revenue in all cases.
- if a business is new and does not have historical revenues available, eligibility maybe determined on a case-by-case basis comparing historical data of the specific operation or an industry average.
- the physical tourism operation and head office must both be located on PEI;
- must be registered and hold an appropriate licence to operate prior to April 1, 2020;
must be a ‘for profit entity’ operating in one of the following sectors:
Accommodation operators - establishment must have more than one accommodation unit licensed under the Tourism Industry Act (e.g operator or establishment with more than one cottage is eligible)
Licensed tourism accommodations (e.g. hotel, motel, bed and breakfast, inn, resort, cottage operations and campground)
Licensed tourism accommodations must be used for business activity and not, whole or in part, for primary residential purposes
Licensed tourism accommodations where the owner resides to assist with operations must have a minimum of at least 4 guest bedrooms with private bathrooms assigned to the exclusive use of a guest or party of guests and hospitality provided by the tourism operator
food and beverage service (e.g. restaurant, bar, brewery);
local artisans and artists (e.g. pottery, artwork);
locally-owned retail and gift shops that cater primarily to tourism;
attractions (e.g. museum);
tourism service and/or experience providers;
adventure (e.g., kayaking, amusement park, golf); and/or
Who is not eligible?
- A non-Canadian or publicly traded company, or a company owned by the same, is not eligible.
- Any corporate operation of a franchise network with an establishment(s) located outside of PEI is not eligible.
What are eligible expenses?
As an operator, you may normally make significant investments in your property during the off-season to ensure guests are provided with a quality and aesthetically pleasing experience.
Eligible expenses under this program must be incurred on or before July 1, 2021 and may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- new product or experience development;
- routine maintenance;
- new equipment and/or technology;
- improved furnishings.
- Any transaction must be completed between two parties operating at arm’s length.
- Claims must be supported by paid invoice.
- Maximum grant of $50,000 for up to 50% of eligible expenses to a maximum of 4% of 2019 gross revenues;
- Minimum grant of $2,500 for applicants with gross revenue between $25,000 and $125,000 which allows for eligible expenses beyond 4% of 2019 gross revenues.
Apply with your local Community Business Development Corporation
Select ONE link below based on the location of your business. You must register for an CBDC account before you apply if you do not already have one.
West Prince Ventures Ltd.
Central PEI CBDC
CBDC PEI East