Post-Secondary Student Program
The Post-Secondary Student Program is a summer employment program funded by the Government of Prince Edward Island and administered by the Department of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture. Priority will be given to employers that provide post-secondary students with a valuable experiential learning opportunity related to the student's field of study.
Who is eligible to participate?
Eligibility Information - Employers
Eligible employers on Prince Edward Island include:
- Registered private sector businesses;
- Non-Profit Organizations; and
- Public Sector (Government departments and/or Municipal Government)
Eligibility Information - Students
Eligible students must:
- Have graduated from Grade 12; and/or
- Have attended a post-secondary institution full-time in the current year and intend to return to full-time studies in the fall of the current year;
- Be a resident of Prince Edward Island and legally authorized to work in Canada;
How does the program work?
Once an employer submits a completed application package, a SkillsPEI Program Officer will contact you to review and discuss your application.
- Employers who meet the program criteria are eligible to receive financial assistance in the form of a wage subsidy to cover the costs of wages paid to the student.
- Employers must be a registered business in the Province of Prince Edward Island.
- Employers are required to have Workers Compensation Benefits (WCB) coverage.
- Private sector employers will be reimbursed 75% of the approved hourly wage, including vacation pay to a maximum of 40 hours per week, for the total weeks approved. Traditionally, wage reimbursement is 50%, however this has been increased for 2021-22 to support economic recovery efforts due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Non-profit and public sector employers will be reimbursed 100% of the approved hourly wage, including vacation pay to a maximum of 40 hours per week, for the total weeks approved.
- All employers approved under the program will be responsible to cover all mandatory employer related costs (MERC). These include EI, CPP, Workers Compensation, etc.
- Non-Profit and Private Sector employers will determine the student wage rate based on the requirements of the position but must provide a minimum of $13.00/hr to a maximum of $15.00/hr.
- Public Sector employers will follow the student wage rates determined by the Province and follow a three step range depending on the student's year of study. This information will be finalized prior to approval.
- Positions are typically 12-14 weeks in duration; however positions may be funded for 8-18 weeks depending upon needs of the employer and the student.
- Priority will be given to employers able to demonstrate they will provide post-secondary students with a valuable experiential learning opportunity related to the student's field of study (e.g. Pathways to Apprenticeship, Health-related occupations).
How do I apply?
Employers must complete the Post-Secondary Student Organization Application form online (see below) or contact SkillsPEI at email@example.com to request a paper application.
To assess your application, we will need:
- Completed Post-Secondary Student Employer Organization Application form;
- Completed and signed payee registration form. This form must be uploaded during the application process. Do not email the payee registration form to Payment Processing;
- Banking Information - void cheque OR correspondence from financial institution for direct deposit.
You will also need the following information in order to complete the online application form:
- Legal Business Name
- Provincial Corporate Registry Number or Business Number/HST number
- Workers Compensation Firm Number
- Date Business Established
- Legal Signing Officers
Students will no longer be required to complete a Student Job Registry application form for the Post-Secondary Student Program, however students are encouraged to develop a resume and create a job-seeker account on WorkPEI. Many of the approved positions under the Post-Secondary Student Program will be posted at WorkPEI, therefore students will be able to view and apply for positions of interest directly to employers.
Applications must be approved by the Department of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture before activities funded under this program can begin.
When is the deadline for applications?
Employer Applications can be submitted until April 30, 2021.
For more information
Contact SkillsPEI at 1-877- 491- 4766 or email firstname.lastname@example.org