Post-Secondary Student Program
This summer employment program is designed to create jobs for post-secondary students by providing a financial incentive to Prince Edward Island employers. In turn, students will gain valuable work experience, preferably related to a student’s field of study.
Who is eligible to participate?
Employer Eligibility Information
Eligible employers on Prince Edward Island include:
- registered private sector businesses;
- non-Profit organizations; and
- public sector
Student Eligibility Information
Eligible students must:
- have graduated from Grade 12; and/or
- have attended a post-secondary institution full-time in the current year and intend to return to full-time studies in the fall of the current year;
- be a resident of Prince Edward Island and legally authorized to work in Canada;
How does the program work?
Once an employer submits a completed application package, a SkillsPEI program officer will contact you to review and discuss your application.
- Employers who meet the program criteria are eligible to receive financial assistance in the form of a wage subsidy to cover the costs of wages paid to the student.
- Employers must be a registered business in the Province of Prince Edward Island.
- Employers are required to have Workers Compensation Benefits (WCB) coverage.
- Private sector employers will be reimbursed 75% of the approved hourly wage, including vacation pay to a maximum of 40 hours per week, for the total weeks approved.
- Non-profit and public sector employers will be reimbursed 100% of the approved hourly wage, including vacation pay to a maximum of 40 hours per week, for the total weeks approved.
- All employers approved under the program will be responsible to cover all mandatory employer related costs (MERC), including EI, CPP, Workers Compensation, etc.
- Student wage rates are determined by the Province and follow a three step range depending on the student’s year of study. This information will be finalized prior to approval.
- Positions are typically 12-14 weeks in duration, however positions may be funded for 8-18 weeks depending upon needs of the employer and the student.
How do I apply?
Employers must complete the Post-Secondary Student Organization application form online (see below) or contact SkillsPEI at email@example.com to request a paper application. To assess your application, you must provide:
- a completed Post-Secondary Student Employer Organization application form;
- a completed and signed payee registration form. This form must be uploaded during the application process. Do not email the payee registration form to payment processing;
- banking information - void cheque OR correspondence from financial institution for direct deposit.
You will also need the following information in order to complete the online application form:
- legal business name
- provincial corporate registry number or business number/HST number
- Workers Compensation firm number
- the date that the business was established
- name(s) of legal signing officers
Students are NOT required to complete a Student Job Registry application form for the Post-Secondary Student Program. However, as a student, you are encouraged to develop a resume and create a job-seeker account on WorkPEI. Many of the approved positions of the Post-Secondary Student Program will be posted at www.workpei.ca/postsecondary/. Visit this website to view and apply for positions of interest directly with employers.
Applications must be approved by the Department of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture before activities funded by this program can begin.
When is the deadline for applications?
Employer Applications can be submitted until May 31, 2020.
The Post-Secondary Student Program is a summer employment program funded by the Government of Prince Edward Island and administered by the Department of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture.
For more information
Phone: 902-368-6290 - Charlottetown
Phone: 902-438-4151 - Summerside