Prince Edward Island Emergency Payment for Workers
The Prince Edward Island Emergency Payment for Workers program provides financial support to residents of Prince Edward Island who had employment impacts as a result of the COVID – 19 public health measures. To support individuals who continue to have employment impacts due to the public health measures, the province announced an extension to the program until January 31, 2022. The program now allows individuals to apply for a second $500 payment if their employment has continued to be impacted and they meet the program criteria. New applications for the second eligibility period are now being accepted. Please be advised this emergency benefit is taxable income and you will receive a T4.
Who is eligible to participate?
To be eligible, you must be a resident working in Prince Edward Island who had employment impacts as a result of the public health measures. There are now two eligibility periods, December 17, 2021 – January 17, 2022 and January 18, 2022 – January 31, 2022. You will need to apply for the two eligibility periods separately. Please be advised if you have a file in process for December 17, 2021 – January 17, 2022 you do not have to reapply for that period.
You must meet one of the following criteria in each of the eligibility periods:
- Has been laid off/job loss due to the public health measures announced; or
- Was scheduled to work during the period of the program and lost wages due to a reduction of 25% or more of scheduled work; or
- Is self-employed and has a reduction of $500 minimum in self-employment income during the period of the program.
How does the program work?
Eligible individuals who meet the program criteria submit an online application and if approved will receive the following:
- A lump sum payment of $500 (taxable income) for the period of December 17, 2021 to January 17, 2022, and/or;
- A lump sum payment of $500 (taxable income) for the period of January 18, 2022 to January 31, 2022.
Individuals must keep supporting documents providing their eligibility for the program for a period of three years following approval to the program for audit and compliance purposes.
How do I apply?
Eligible individuals must complete the application below and must submit a separate application and supporting documentation for each eligibility period.
Note: Prior applicants in receipt of payment under this program can only apply for payment under the period of January 18, 2022 to January 31, 2022.
Online applications are recommended, however, a printable form is available.
Printable PDF applications can be requested and mailed and/or e-mailed to the contact address below. Hard copy applications must be received by SkillsPEI before February 11, 2022.
What information is required to complete my application?
To assess your application, we will need;
- Completed PEI Emergency Payment for Workers application form with:
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Banking Information
- Void cheque
- Financial institutional number, branch transit number, and account number
- If name on banking information is different than applicant then reason why must be given
- Employment Information confirming eligibility:
- For Employees - Record of Employment or a letter from employer confirming a reduction in hours
- For Self Employed Individuals - The most recent Statement of Business or Professional Activities (Form T2125) found in the personal income tax return or most recent HST form
Please be advised, approved applications may take up to 5 business days before receipt of payment, and all payments will be made by electronic transfer.
When is the deadline for applications?
Applications can be submitted until February 11, 2022
For More Information:
The toll free number will be available Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5 pm