Register a Business: Co-operative
Any association intending to form a co-operative in PEI must apply to the Province for incorporation. This includes any housing or other non-profit co-operative. A registered co-operative in PEI operates under the authority of the Co-operative Associations Act. Please complete the online form below to request to incorporate.
A cooperative association registered with the Province must renew the registration annually. The registration may be renewed online at Renew a Co-operative or Non-profit in PEI.
You are advised to seek the services of a lawyer before you request to incorporate a business entity.
What information do I need to complete the online form?
Before you apply to incorporate, please ensure the precise legal name of the new co-operative complies with provincial naming rules. For more information, refer to Register your Business Name.
The application to register a co-operative association will include:
- Proposed name of the co-operative association
- Detailed contact information
- Names of officers/board members and contact information (minimum of three names required)
- Full payment of fees
- Uploaded documents including:
- Articles of incorporation (prepared by a legal professional) which will include
- Objects of the association
- Location of the corporation head office in PEI
- Name of first or provisional directors, minimum three
- Liability of members, either
- limited by shares, and value of shares or
- limited by membership, and amount of annual or periodic membership fee
- Memorandum of agreement, signed and sealed, setting forth the bylaws of the proposed corporation including:
- conditions of membership
- operational procedures, i.e. holding meetings, quorum, voting and enacting bylaws
- appointment and removal of directors and officers, their powers and remuneration
- financial processes, i.e. audit of accounts and appointment of auditors; and
- custody of the corporate seal and certifying documents
What is the fee to incorporate as a co-operative?
Cost to incorporate: $305
Cost includes fee to incorporate ($250), name search ($40), and publication in the Royal Gazette ($15).
How long will it take to process my application?
Please allow ten business days for the Registrar to complete the business name search and incorporation process.
Add a Reminder to create your own email notification which you will receive when it is time to renew.
Le gouvernement de l’Île-du-Prince-Édouard accepte les paiements en ligne faits avec Visa, MasterCard ou Interac En Ligne pour ce service.
Visitez le site web d’Interac En Ligne pour voir si votre institution financière offre ce service.