Wage Support for Potato Exporters
The Wage Support for Potato Exporters was launched to assist the Prince Edward Island potato industry and trucking companies impacted by the closure of the US border to the export of table stock potatoes. The program will provide wage reimbursement to companies that maintain their staff during the border closure.
Who Is Eligible To Participate?
Eligible Information - Employers
Eligible employers include;
- Registered private sector businesses on Prince Edward Island operating as farms, packing housing and trucking companies who clearly demonstrate they are affected by the United States ban on the export of table stock potatoes.
Eligible Information - Employees
Eligible employees must;
- Be an employee of the eligible employer directly affected by the United States ban on the export of table stock potatoes;
- Be a resident of Prince Edward Island and eligible to work in Canada.
How Does the Program Work
The program provides a wage subsidy to employers for each employee impacted. The program will reimburse 100% of wage and benefit costs at the rate of pay up to a maximum of $3,000 per month per employee. Employers are required to have Workers Compensation Benefits (WCB) coverage. Employers must deduct from their claim wages paid to employees for work completed on other initiatives not associated with the potato ban.
- Applicants will be required to demonstrate the number of employees and their wages affected by the United States ban on table stock potatoes.
- If approved, employers may be required to provide payroll documentation for affected employees for reimbursement.
How Do I Apply?
You must complete the Wage Support for Potato Exporters application and submit it to SkillsPEI via email at email@example.com.