Work Experience PEI - For Job Seekers
Work Experience PEI is a short-term employment program that provides job seekers with an opportunity to work on a project with a local organization. The on-the-job work experience will help the job seeker develop new skills needed for employment in the workforce.
Who is Eligible to Participate?
If you are unemployed and looking for a short term work experience you are eligible to apply. If you are unemployed and looking for full-time employment you are eligible to apply.
- You must be legally authorized to work in Canada (Canadian citizen or permanent resident);
- You must have a current claim for Employment Insurance benefits; or
- You must have a previous EI claim whose benefit period ended within the previous 60 months; or
- an unemployed person who paid, in at least 5 of the last 10 years, employee's premiums that did not entitle the person to a refund (i.e. If the person made less than $2,000 in earnings in a year, any EI premiums that they would have paid would be reimbursed);
- Other criteria may apply.
How do I apply?
You must apply directly with the employer. The employer will interview and select a candidate for the position. If you are selected, the employer will submit an application to SkillsPEI requesting a temporary wage subsidy to hire you. We will contact you to discuss the next steps which will include meeting with a case manager to complete a needs assessment and develop a Return-To-Work Action Plan. To assess your application SkillsPEI will need:
- Completed Work Experience PEI Application for Individuals;
- Return-to-Work Action Plan prepared by your case manager;
- SkillsPEI consent form.
When is my Application Due?
You must submit your application package and receive confirmation from SkillsPEI that you have been approved for the program before you start your new job.
How does the program work?
You will receive a weekly allowance or EI benefits or a combination of the two each week while you are working on the project.
This information is a general guide for applicants. Applications received by SkillsPEI will be assessed against additional program criteria to determine eligibility.
Where can I get more Information?
Call SkillsPEI's general inquiries line at 1-877-491-4766 or visit one of the SkillsPEI offices.
Application for Funding- Individual
Funded by the Department of Workforce, Advanced Learning and Population through the Canada-PEI labour market agreements.