Hurricane Fiona Supports for PEI Agriculture
The Government of Prince Edward Island is pleased to announce a new suite of programs in an effort to directly assist farmers and the agriculture industry as a whole recover from losses incurred as a result of Hurricane Fiona, as well as focus on becoming more resilient to these types of events in the future.
What supports are available?
- The Hurricane Fiona Agriculture Support Program will support farmers who experienced extraordinary costs pertaining to loss of crops, affected livestock operations, damaged or destroyed buildings, and/or costs to remove debris and re-plant downed trees
- The Island Community Food Security Initiative Program will receive increased funding to expand the list of eligible applicants so that community fridges and gardens can continue to stay stocked in times of need, as well as increasing the existing cap for those already receiving funding;
- The On-Farm Electrical Interruption Assistance Program, a new program under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership (CAP), that will help those in the agriculture industry invest in equipment such as generators to assist with resiliency efforts for the future;
- The Farmers Assistance Program and FarmersTalk.ca will receive an increased investment to secure an extra staff member and ensure producers have the mental health assistance that may be needed post Fiona;
- AgriStability and AgriInsurance Programs that are administered by the Provincial Agriculture Insurance Corporation will receive additional supports and adjustments.
- Those participating in AgriInsurance will receive a 10% discount on producer premiums for the 2023/24 fiscal year.
- AgriStability provides support when farmers experience large margin declines, and offers enhanced funding for crop losses. The Government of PEI through the Agriculture Insurance Corporation worked with Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) to extend the form deadline until October 31, 2022. Additionally, the Government of PEI has worked with Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada to open late participation again for the 2022 year. Finally, the Government of PEI will cover the cost of any penalty associated with late participation.
How do I apply for funding?
To ensure eligibility and qualification requirements, please review the program guidelines:
Formal applications for the Hurricane Fiona Agriculture Support Program and On-Farm Electrical Interruption Assistance Program will be available on this page in the coming days.
For more information and to apply to these supports:
- Fiona Agriculture Support Program
- On-Farm Electrical Interruption Assistance Program
- Island Community Food Security Initiative Program
- free mental health supports available
- Agricultural Insurance Corporation - AgriStability and AgriInsurance
Who do I contact for more information?
If you have any questions about any of the Provincial supports on this page, please email Agr-FionaResponse@gov.pe.ca
***Due to anticipated high volumes of inquiries, please ensure you review the eligibility criteria before emailing to ensure that you qualify.