PEI Pollination Expansion Program
The Prince Edward Island Department of Agriculture and Land has established the PEI Pollination Expansion Program to support the sustainable increase of local honey bee colonies that are available for the pollination of wild blueberries and other fruit crops and the advancement of the beekeeping sector through strategic industry initiatives, including investment in infrastructure.
Who is eligible for funding?
- Mi’kmaq First Nations and other Indigenous Organizations who are beekeepers;
- PEI beekeepers;
- The PEI Beekeepers Association; and
- PEI Government Departments.
What types of expenses are eligible for funding?
- Purchase of international queens for expansion
- Purchase of domestic queens for expansion or replacement (exiting beekeepers may also access funds for domestic queen replacement);
- Purchase of queen-rearing equipment;
- Purchase of colonies from Island beekeepers who are exiting the honey beekeeping sector;
- Purchase of in-province splits and nucleus colonies contributing to expansion;
- Purchase of out-of-province colonies, splits, and nucleus colonies contributing to expansion;
- Purchase and/or construction costs of frames, including plastic and wooden frames, plastic or wax foundation wires, nails, and staples contributing to expansion;
- Purchase and/or construction costs of hive boxes including plastic boxes, wooden boxes, nails and staples contributing to expansion;
- Purchase of beekeeping equipment or other technologies relevant to the beekeeping sector;
- Costs directly associated with industry research; and
- Other items, activities, and queen-related expenses may be considered upon request.
Where can I find more information?
Who do I contact about the PEI Pollination Expansion Program?
PEI Provincial Apiarist
PEI Department of Agriculture and Land
11 Kent Street, PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE, C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 314-0816
Fax: (902) 368-4857