People and Wildlife

The best way to keep nuisance wildlife away from your property is to remove anything that may attract them. You may also want to consider using one of our wildlife deterrent recipes.

Wild creatures live all around us and usually they go unnoticed as we go about our daily lives. However, sometimes they can create problems by feeding on crops or garbage, making loud noises, spreading diseases or harming livestock and pets.  

Where can I experience Island Wildlife?

There are many places where people can see and interact with wildlife including the PEI National Park, Wildlife Management Areas, Provincial Forests, and Ponds and Wetlands.

Many people also visit our Fish and Wildlife:PEI Facebook page to post pictures, ask questions and learn more about Island wildlife and wildlife-related activities. 

How can I deal with nuisance or problem animals around my home or property?

Animals will be attracted to a specific location by the availability of one or more of the following factors:

  • Food
  • Safety and shelter
  • Water

Start by identifying where they are living and what they are eating or drinking. Once you have eliminated the food and water sources, you can encourage them to move by creating loud noises where they are living or spraying water on the site and keeping it very wet for several days. Once they have left, fence off the area to prevent them from returning.

For more information on nuisance animals please read:Wildlife Deterrents (1.1M)

You may also be interested in:

Does the Forests Fish and Wildlife Division remove problem wildlife?

No. Division staff only deal with injured wildlife. However, some Island communities provide pest removal services for their residents or you can hire a licensed pest control company.

What should I do if I find a dead animal?

Many people simply bury the dead animal on their own property. However if you do, you should wear protective clothing such as rubber gloves to prevent cuts and infections and dig a hole at least 40 cm deep to prevent other animals from digging it up again.

If the dead animal is located in a municipality, your local public works department may be able to help.

If the dead animal is on a rural road or highway, please call the Department of Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy's local dispatch office.

  • Prince County 902-888-8275
  • Queens County 902-368-4770
  • Kings County 902-652-8960

Who should I call to report an injured animal?.

During regular working hours you can call 902-368-4683 or 1-866-368-4683. For after hours and weekends, leave a detailed message with your contact information and the location of the injured animal.

What about marine animals such as whales, seals, dolphins and sea turtles?

To report a dead sea mammal , please call the PEI Department of Agriculture and Fisheries at 902-838-0635 or toll-free at 1-877-407-0187 or refer to Marine Mammals Removal and Disposal.

For injured to entangled sea mammals, please call the Canadian Coast Guard at 1-800-565-1633 or the Marine Mammal Response Society at 1-866-567-6277

What should I do if I find abandoned young animals?

It is not unusual for people to find young animals that may seem to have been abandoned, However, in most cases the parents are simply away searching for food so it is best to leave them where you found them.

For more detailed information, please refer to:Dealing with Abandoned Young Animals.


Published date: 
January 16, 2019