Burning Permits

Burning permits are required for outdoor burning in PEI during fire season. Camp fires do not require a burning permit and are permitted unless there is a fire ban.

The Forests, Fish and Wildlife Division offices remain closed and paper permits will not be issued at this time.

Apply for a Domestic Burn Permit online  

Burning permits are required for all outdoor burning in PEI during fire season - March 15 to November 30 each year.

Permits are available free-of-charge online from Monday to Friday during normal working hours.

  • Have the civic address and/or the Property Identification Number(s) on hand for the requested burn location;
  • Make sure you accept the disclaimer and acceptance statements stating that you have read and understand the requirements at the end of the form. 
Forests, Fish and Wildlife Offices
Southampton 2580 Rte 313, St Peters 902-961-7296
J. Frank Gaudet Tree Nursery Complex 183 Upton Rd, Charlottetown 902-368-4700
Beach Grove 170 Beach Grove Rd, Charlottetown 902-368-4800
Wellington  40 Hackamack Rd, Richmond 902-854-7260

Are burning permits valid in all Island communities?

No. Many Island municipalities also have their own fire regulations so burning permits are not issued for those areas. If you want to use an outdoor fire pit or outdoor fireplace or to burn or dispose of brush or leaves in any of the communities listed below, you must contact the city, town or village government office to ensure you abide by local burning requirements.

Community Contact Information
Community General Inquiries
Souris 902-687-2157
Three Rivers (Georgetown) 902-652-2924
Three Rivers (Montague) 902-838-2528
Stratford 902-569-1995
Charlottetown 902-566-5548
Cornwall 902-566-2354
Summerside 902-432-1230
Miscouche 902-436-4962
Alberton 902-853-2720

What kinds of materials can I burn?

A Burning Permit only allows you to burn:

  • grasses
  • leaves
  • branches
  • other woody debris

Are there materials that I can never burn?

Yes. It is always illegal to burn any of the following:

  • used lubricating oil 
  • hazardous substances 
  • biomedical waste 
  • motor vehicle tires 
  • animal or human cadavers 
  • railway ties and other wood treated with wood preservatives 
  • waste materials from building or construction sites, or resulting from building demolition, unless permitted under the Fire Prevention Act 
  • trash, garbage, litter, or other waste from commercial, industrial, or municipal operations 
  • materials containing rubber or plastic 
  • spilled oil or oil production by-products, except as required for the purposes of forest management or fire suppression treatment 
  • materials disposed of as part of reclamation operations, or 
  • animal manure.
Other materials cannot be burned under this permit. For information on proper handling and disposal of other materials, please call the Environment Division at 1-866-368-5044.

Campfires, cooking fires and backyard burning

If you are in an incorporated area with its own by-laws, contact the town or city office for information on local fire regulations.

If you are in a rural area, camping, cooking and backyard fires are permitted unless there is a fire ban.

  • Burning permits are not required for small campfires used for cooking or necessary warmth provided they are built in properly constructed campfire sites.
  • You must have the permission of the landowner.
  • You must have water and fire fighting tools to extinguish the fire
  • Fires should be in an enclosed pit or outdoor fire place with proper spark catchers
  • You must completely extinguish the campfire when you are finished.
In all cases, you are liable for any and all damages resulting from the fire and you must take proper precautions to ensure it does not escape.

Where can I get more information on fire prevention?

Visit Creating Effective Wildfire Buffers for valuable information and resources for property owners in rural areas.

Published date: 
March 15, 2021