Hunting, Firearms, and Bow Hunting Safety Courses

PLEASE NOTE: The Government of Canada has enacted Bill C-21, which outlines new restrictions on handguns.. Please be advised that, as of October 21, 2022, anyone that takes the Canadian Firearms Safety Restricted Course, and applies for their Restricted Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL), it is uncertain if it will be issued unless it is required for employment. If you have any questions on how this may pertain to you, please contact 1-800-731-4000.

What do I need to hunt on PEI?

In order to hunt legally on PEI, you must have a valid hunting license and the Wildlife Conservation Fund fee. Most people also require:

  • Firearms Safety Course
  • Hunter Safety Course, and/or
  • A Bow Hunting Safety Course.

The Bow Hunting Safety Course also includes:

How do I take a Hunter Education course?

The province is currently offering a complimentary PEI Hunting Licence and Wildlife Conservation Fund fee to all NEW resident hunters who successfully complete the The Hunter Education program listed below.

The Hunter Safety education program has two components.

  1. You must successfully complete the online component at Hunter Course. Currently, this component of the Hunter Safety Course is being offered free of charge to first time hunters who are residents of PEI. However, before you register on the site you must call 902-368-4683 to get an access code for the on-line component.
  2. After successfully completing the on-line component, the site will issue a Field Day Voucher. This voucher enables you to participate in a field day where you will receive extra training and the instructor will confirm your knowledge and understanding of the on-line course materials. When you receive your voucher, call 902-368-4683 to confirm your attendance for the field day.

Upon completion, the student will receive an updated Prince Edward Island Wildlife Card, a complementary Wildlife Conservation Fund and PEI Hunting Licence. Please click on the 2023 Hunting Summary (4MB) to learn more.

How do I apply for a Bow Hunting Safety Course?

To take a Bow Hunting course, you must register by calling 902-368-4683 or 1-800-368-4683.

What do I need to purchase firearms or ammunition?

In order to legally purchase firearms and ammunition you must have a Possession Acquisition Licence (PAL) . You can get your PAL by successfully completing the Firearms Safety Course.

Where can I take the Firearms Safety Course?

To take a Firearms Safety course, you must begin by completing the (non-restricted) Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) Application Form.  Print the form and bring it to an Access PEI Office to register and pay the $60 CFSC fee. Courses are ongoing and offered on a first-come, first-served basis. When space becomes available you will be notified.
Students are required to use the Canadian Firearms Safety Course manual (17.0M).

Can I challenge the firearms course?

No. Under federal legislation everyone seeking to obtain their PAL must take and pass the Firearms Safety Course.

Where can I apply for my PAL or renew my PAL?

Possession Acquisition Licence (PAL) information, application forms and licence renewal can be found on the Firearms Licence Services (individuals) site.

Who do I contact if I lost my PAL?

If you lost your PAL or misplaced your completed Firearms Safety exam, contact the Firearms Office or call 902-368-4585.



Published date: 
October 31, 2023
Environment, Energy and Climate Action

General Inquiries

Forests, Fish and Wildlife Division
J. Frank Gaudet Tree Nursery
183 Upton Road
Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-6450

Wildlife Emergencies:

Like us on Facebook

Call 911 to report wildfires.